Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Resi Removal

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey all,

I got a 2.5" catback system with a centre muffler on my VS at the moment. I like the sound but would like it if it was just a bit louder and grunty maybe? Been looking on the forums and removal of the resonator and placing in a straight pipe seems to be something that can be done?

I was wondering if anyone has a vid of a before and after of a their car with a resi and without or something that could give me an understanding of the sound and grunt gain i would be getting?

Below is a video of my car taking off with it's current setup.
(car was rolling already so you don't hear full sound, reason i was rolling is cos it is a 100kph road and a blind corner behind me lol)

It does make a nice sound, but only when it's being kicked in the pants though. I'd like it to be nice and people hear it and get head turns (and no, not head turns from the cops. i saw the jokes coming)

Cheers Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Guys I just had a look under my car and I only got a catback system on it so i can see what they have made with new piping and all i can see is a centre muffler and that's it. Does that mean mine doesnt have a resi on it already? bit confused

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
alright, i phoned up the guy and turns out I already don't have a resonator... bit dissapointing, so I am thinking of replacing the centre muffler i have with a straight pipe? Any probs with that>

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
That would be even more illegal than it is now, plus it would drone like a bitch, and just sound generally ****.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yeah with no muffler sounds disgusting. i had a mate with a falcon ute that he cut all the mufflers out of and welded pipe in there instead and he hated it.

but go for it if you want, maybe just cut the mufflers out of the standard system and fit that up if you still have it so then you've still got the 2.5 inch with 1 muffler if you get sick of it.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
yeah with no muffler sounds disgusting. i had a mate with a falcon ute that he cut all the mufflers out of and welded pipe in there instead and he hated it.

but go for it if you want, maybe just cut the mufflers out of the standard system and fit that up if you still have it so then you've still got the 2.5 inch with 1 muffler if you get sick of it.

I think I will replace the muffler with a 2.5" straight pipe as my car has a 2.5" straight pipe already and then if i do get sick of it, just weld the muffler back on? it will only cost me $50 to get done and $20 to get changed back if i want. Good for maybe a week to see what it is like lol something different. If i do get cops pulling me over (atm ive never had an issue cos it is quiet as long as you dont gun it) will cops give me a warning or a fine straight up?

VYHDT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY HDT
Generally a "warning" is a miracle. These days it's a fine and defect notice. Got defected on my first car ( 87 corolla) and the clutch was on it's way out and the sports exhaust was louder die to higher revs. Got defected. Had the change clutch and the get db tested to prove the level was within legal limit

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
so true straight pipe is yukk, i got a vr v6, and once i put a straight pip in from cat and back on and it sounded like **** so i put the stock one back on, what exhaust system can i get that will sound nice?? like my mate has a stock ford 97 year model 6cylinder ,4 liter with exhaust system and it sounds nice ,sounds like a 5L.. Why do holdens v6 v4 sound like lawnmower lol.. what system can i get for it to sound good?

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
Has anyone tried a hooker aerochamber muffler on their V6? Thatd be interesting to hear what it sounds like.

Last edited: