Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear speaker on ve ss ute

LSDsnr

Not a bad work car!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
The speaker cables for the rear channels are in the plug that goes into the stereo. Just pull off the drivers side of the centre console and you'll see plugs going into the stereo. Not sure where they run to but i know they are there atleast.

Wiring colours (in the black plug above the white one):

Rear Left (+) - Brown
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Red
Rear Right (+) – Dark Blue
Rear Right (-) – Light Blue

Thanks for the heads up holden boy! I'll be pulling mine apart over the weekend and I'll try and get some photos.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
You should have bought a wagon and cut the back of the roof off ... that'd give you rears! lol!

KarmaG8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 G8 ute
Hi Paynie....not sure what type of VE ute you have mate...But the one with the big screen (mines a Maloo) is quiet simple & you don't need to take it to a Holden Dealer...
*Firstly ign "On" & radio "Off"
*Then, hold 'track right', 'disc right' & radio 'on' simultaniously for about 8-10 seconds, you'll then get the service menu. In here you can activate either 2 channel or 4/5 channel speakers, 12/24 hr clock & a few other things.
* After doing this you can access fader "Front & Rear" in the main menu.
Not sure with the Omega or SS but by experimenting with with the first couple of steps you'll stumble across it...cheers...;)..

Mix, I tried all this on my 2010 G8 ute, it doesn't work.

The 2010 SSVs etc have two 8" subs under each sidelight window, they're not "rear speakers" as such and aren't controlled by getting the fader option enabled. Maloos are the same set-up. The service menu default for SSV utes is '2 speaker'.

Stock sound is terrible, what do I do without changing the head unit??

Mix 6000

"Balck" VE Maloo R8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo R8
Hi KarmaG8.....I was unaware that 2010 models had extra speakers, but i can guarantee that this does work on earlier VE's. I can also tell you by changing the head unit it will create a lot more dramas. I have greatly improved on my system by dissconecting the centre speaker (a very big improvement on its own)....I have then Dynamatted both of the front doors (sound deadening; aluminium foil coated tar sheets) I then replaced the stock speakers with 6 1/2" Bosten Accoustic Splits & run completely new speaker wiring to the head unit, more than happy with the sound now....Total cost $400-$500 & a full days work....running & soldering speaker wires took the longest.....Hope this helps.....cheers..;)...

edwah

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ss ute
MIX 6000
Your a legend this worked perfectly for my 09 ve ss ute, I hooked up the front and rear speakers when installing my amp and couldn't understand why I had no sound in the rear when the wires are right there, and the unit is the same as all the sedan/wagons ??? also the help text in the dash mentioned a fader which was not displayed on my unit nothing made any sense !!!!

I followed your instructions and it all come to life thanks again !!!!!!!

Hi Paynie....not sure what type of VE ute you have mate...But the one with the big screen (mines a Maloo) is quiet simple & you don't need to take it to a Holden Dealer...
*Firstly ign "On" & radio "Off"
*Then, hold 'track right', 'disc right' & radio 'on' simultaniously for about 8-10 seconds, you'll then get the service menu. In here you can activate either 2 channel or 4/5 channel speakers, 12/24 hr clock & a few other things.
* After doing this you can access fader "Front & Rear" in the main menu.
Not sure with the Omega or SS but by experimenting with with the first couple of steps you'll stumble across it...cheers...;)..

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Mix, I tried all this on my 2010 G8 ute, it doesn't work.

The 2010 SSVs etc have two 8" subs under each sidelight window, they're not "rear speakers" as such and aren't controlled by getting the fader option enabled. Maloos are the same set-up. The service menu default for SSV utes is '2 speaker'.

Stock sound is terrible, what do I do without changing the head unit??

If you have IQ the deck needs to be reprogrammed as a sedan to enable the rears. I havent tried this myself to confirm it works but in theory it should.