Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear speakers not working

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
So one of my mates pointed out to me that my rear speakers have stopped working, I know they used to, and it seems strange that both would stop at the same time, so i dare say the problem would be related. I have in my VS, an alpine head unit, running a 4 channel amp that runs the front speakers off 2 channels, and the other 2 are bridged running the sub. The rear parcel shelf 6x9's are left to run off the head unit. I have checked all the wiring, at the speakers, and at the head unit and it is all connected up fine, so thinking maybe I've blown the rear channel in my head unit or something :/ any other idea's?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Have you disconnected your battery lately?

Have you had your head unit out lately? Done any work relating to the stereo?

Where do the front speaker wires from the head unit go? Taped up?

What model Alpine head unit?

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Have you disconnected your battery lately?

Have you had your head unit out lately? Done any work relating to the stereo?

Where do the front speaker wires from the head unit go? Taped up?

What model Alpine head unit?

No i haven't disconnected my battery lately, however i was driving along at night not long ago, and i switched my high beams on, and the stereo cut off. I though battery was dying, or the alternator might not have been charging or something, but I turned the car off, started it again and no worries ever since :/

I have had the stereo out actually.. trying to install steering wheel controls, they didn't end up working like they should, because every button turns the volume down lol. I thought it might have been a problem with either the second hand CAT10 that I bought, or the Radio Remote Module which VS Calais' and Statesmans use. Come to think of it I haven't noticed whether it was since then or not that the rear speakers have stopped working. I don't see how it would affect it, but you never know I spose..

Yeah, front speaker wires are taped up good, I have it out now and i cant see anyway they may have been shorting with anything..

And it is an Alpine IDA-X305S

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
All I can think of is that a speaker wire is ground somewhere as this causes some head units to mute the internal amp to prevent damage OR the internal amp is already dead.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Does the deck have setting to turn the reas to low pass ?

If your deck has a reset button hit that and try see if it works , could just be a setting someone has turned on not realizing.

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Does the deck have setting to turn the reas to low pass ?

If your deck has a reset button hit that and try see if it works , could just be a setting someone has turned on not realizing.

I dont think it does, however I disconnected battery, left it for a minute to reset the head unit and reconnected it, still nothing.

I'm also pretty sure nothing is grounded anywhere :/ hoping its not the internal amp. Do you think that the RCA outs for the rears would still work even if the actual amp inside the deck is dead?

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Oh yeah true.. I've got all my interior out at the moment, and was thinking about rewiring it all anyway as it is just crimp joined and wrapped with a heap of electrical tape right now, so I'll solder it all up. Ill try that first before I go too far though. Cheers for your help :)

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
i switched my high beams on, and the stereo cut off. I though battery was dying, or the alternator might not have been charging or something, but I turned the car off, started it again and no worries ever since :/

Check your main earth from battery clean it up & resolder, plus run an additional fresh 2 or even just some 4 gauge from the negative terminal from battery to bare metal chassis - this will stabilise the circuit. Also mount the earth from the HU directly to a bare metal chassis point under the centre console (avoid the BLK wire in the OEM loom). While you have all your interior out, test HU by running without the amp in the loop & also swap the rear wiring to the front speakers & front to rear speakers from the HU connections. This way you can isolate if it is your HU playing up, the speakers or just the wiring - if all is good then you will have to look your amp & wiring (run new wiring). Remember your multimeter is a great source of knowledge!

Last edited: