Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Spoiler light not lighting up

Shauno96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
Hi
I just fitted a rear spoiler to my VS and wired the light up to the high mounted brake light in the rear windscreen.

Problem is while the mounted brake light works when I connect my spoiler to those wires the spoiler light does not illuminate when brake pedal is pressed?

I have tested the spoiler light by connecting direct to the battery and it lights up fine so that isn't at fault.

I tested the voltage going to all the brake lights once pedal is depressed and my multimeters read 11.3v DC yet they all still work as should..
Isn't it supposed to be 12v??

So if anyone has any idea on what's going on here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It should be 12 volts.
With only 11.3 volts, the spoiler is probably draining the voltage on that circuit.
When you connect the spoiler, do the normal brake lights work work?
Start the car and see if they work.

Shauno96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
All other brake lights light up when pedal is pressed, whether the spoiler is connected or not, just not the spoiler..

Even with the spoiler totally disconnected the brake light wires still read as 11.3v when probed at different plugs (blue/orange and black wires).

Just thought maybe the fact my reverse lights never work might be related? They never have since I've owned it and never known why..I overhauled the Start/neutral switch (mine is auto) thanks to the "how to" on this site,replaced globes and still nothing but a quick flash upon shifting into and out of reverse then nothing...

Cheers

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Are you absolutely sure you have the spoiler wires the correct way around.
The spoiler lights are leds and are polarity sensitive.

Shauno96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
Yeah I tried it both ways around and that did nothing too unfortunately..the wires off it are white and white/blue trace with the all white one as the positive..that's what lit it up when jumpered to the battery?

Well today I got my reverse lights working, the problem with that was in the start/nuetral switch...but when I was testing the switch it was only reading 11v when powered..so then I checked my battery and its putting out 12.4v to the power lead.
After that I tested the plug that connects to the stop light switch under the brake pedal and it reads 12.4v as well when pedal is pressed?
Seems like something is draining my power at some point like a faulty part or bad wiring? I just never knew til now coz everything works and always has

I thought about wiring the spoiler light straight to the brake pedal switch wiring as that is reading 12v+ but there is obviously a problem somewhere and would be best to fix it rather than bypass it so I guess I'll just follow the brake wires up the side of the car to the lights to try and find the fault in that circuit at least not having any better ideas of course lol!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You are obviously getting power loss between the switch and the lights.
There may be a fracture in the wiring some where. Some of the wire strands may be broken
some where causing the voltage drop.
I'm afraid you might have to inspect the entire length of the wiring.