Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Suspension Bushes

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
G'day all, Did a search and couldn't really find a whole lot in relation to my question.

I recently took my car in for a 28 point check to find out what was causing my VS to have loose-ish back end.

I was told that the following needs to be replaced at the rear. Note I have a Live rear axle.

Back
Upper arm Bushes
Lower arm Bushes
Pan Hard Rod Bushes
Sway/Stablizer Bar

Front
Radius Rod Bushes - I think also known as the 'Z' bar?

Now I can easily replace the sway bar and pan hard rod bushes, however I know that the others are 'pressed' into the arms.

Now because I don't want pedders to do it is it possible, for me, to replace these bushes without a hydrolic press? by say tapping them out, and in?

Has anybody done this?

Cheers,

Last edited:

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
upper arm r easy to change all u need is two jacks and 2 19mm spanners i think. get one jack to lift up the arse end of the car and the get the jack to sit ( not lift ) under the lower arm to give it support when u take off the upper arm, then u just un bolt the upper arm ( u do this one side at time). if i remember correctly, the top bolt can be undone b y one spanner as for the bottom one u need to hold the nut in place with one spanner and undo the bolt with the other spanner

take in mind this is changing the Upper control arms not the bushes as brand new control arms come with brand new bushes

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Thanks mate but I wanna know if I can keep my existing control arm but just replace the bushes. I know the procedure how to take it all apart just need to know if I can replace the bushes without a press.

Cheers for your response though.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
nah not without a hydraulic press. banging them with a hammer will stuff the metal sleeve, and you'll need more bushes to replace the ones you just stuffed

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
DaPlaya said:
Thanks mate but I wanna know if I can keep my existing control arm but just replace the bushes. I know the procedure how to take it all apart just need to know if I can replace the bushes without a press.

Cheers for your response though.
Whilst a hydraulic press is preferable, a decent solid vice will do just about the same. Apart from brute force, you can heat the arm to expand the 'hole' and put the bush in the freezer to shrink it plus use heaps of WD40 when pressing the new bush in. Make sure the bush and the control arm are properly supported...use your common sense. Try doing a search in the "how to" section on pressing bushes in...or maybe even a GOOGLE search. Good Luck.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
hako said:
Whilst a hydraulic press is preferable, a decent solid vice will do just about the same. Apart from brute force, you can heat the arm to expand the 'hole' and put the bush in the freezer to shrink it plus use heaps of WD40 when pressing the new bush in. Make sure the bush and the control arm are properly supported...use your common sense. Try doing a search in the "how to" section on pressing bushes in...or maybe even a GOOGLE search. Good Luck.

Cheers mate looks like I'll have to get it done proffessionally, i thought about heating the arm and freezing the bush. I looked in the How To here and searched the forums with no luck (unless I miss somthing, if so please post link). Google was no good either.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
DaPlaya said:
Cheers mate looks like I'll have to get it done proffessionally, i thought about heating the arm and freezing the bush. I looked in the How To here and searched the forums with no luck (unless I miss somthing, if so please post link). Google was no good either.
Try:
http://www.tvrna.com/tech-a04.html
or
http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/suspension/frontbush.php

I used "pressing suspension bushes" in GOOGLE
and remember 'there's always more than one way to skin a cat'.:thumbsup:

Good Luck.

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Thanks Hako, looks like I overlooked a few things there,

I think I'll give those options a go and see if I can do it myself.

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
How did you go?

My wifes VS needs exactly the same things replacing and like you I don't want Pedders to have my money.

Wardie

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The top arms you can buy from bursons or repco for near the same price as the bushes alone. For the sake of ten bucks I would just buy them complete & save myself the hassle.