Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear tires are not straight even after the alignment

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Hi

My last post was about a year ago.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/excessive-rear-tire-wear.223114

I bought new set of tires for my 2008 VE SSV. I bought them four weeks ago. I also did alignment because the rear tires were excessively not straight.
Tire size = 245/45/18
Tire pressure = 36 psi
brand = Nitto Invo tires

After alignment, the rear tires were straight. After 3000 km my rear new tires are wearing out again. I checked rear tires and they are not straight.

This is the third set I bought. I don't want to waste more money. I can fix the problem before these tires worn out completely, but I don't know what else could be the problem.

The problem is only with the rear tires. The front tires are new and straight.

Please Help!

Last edited:

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Post the camber and toe setting from the wheel alignment report. Check the wear rating on the tyres bought. I thought Invo's were soft :-/

UTQG Treadwear for W: 260
Traction: AA
Temperature: A

I also lost a set of tires from Yokohama .

53b93b1122dfd.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
check the bolts for the camber and toe adjusters are actually tight..I am also aware the bushes in the rear of these cars are rather soft, therefore causing the tyres to wear excessively yet evenly.....it might be worthwhile upgrading to a stiffer bush, rather than the rubber ones....this might explain the build up of rubber you are getting under the rear guards.

Yes, Nittos are a soft compound and wear quicker than normal tyres, but if you are noticing the wheels aren't straight, that won't help

Tyre pressure....forget the manual supplied with the car....The manufacturer doesn't care about tyre life....they only want comfort...only you an determine pressure, which is judged by your driving style, weight carried and area you drive the vehicle

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
check the bolts for the camber and toe adjusters are actually tight...Either that or there are bushes are worn..

Yes, Nittos are a soft compound and wear quicker than normal tyres, but if you are noticing the wheels aren't straight, that won't help

The bushes might be worn out as you said.

I can take pictures for bushes and post it here. But I don't know if you can tell if they are bad or good by looking at them?

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
My tires worn out completely every 23,000 km.

First set of tires = from 38,000 to 59,000 km
Second set of tires = from 59,000 to 82,000 km

It's not reasonable that I change a new set of tires every 6 months

I have the rear tires like this / \

I think it's called negative camber.

What parts should I replace?

Last edited:

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Lol, i have to change tyres once a year.

As mentioned check tightness of all bolts, you can adjust the camber yourself by eye really i its that bad.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
The report says your rear camber was -0.4 and -1.1 degrees before which isn't too bad but zero is ideal. Even the toe doesn't seen too bad so unless it's move since adjustment it should be fine. I'll look at my sheet n tyres later today

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Ok found mine, so I lowered my car just over 18 months ago, drove it for a good 8-9 months before gettings an alignment. All stock bushes etc. my best rear camber is -1.3 degrees and I've never had tyre wear issues. Car traveled some where around 25,000-30,000kms in this 18 months. Tyres are Achiles ATRs wear 380, traction AA, temperature A

They are a harder compound tyre but provide plenty of grip compared to the factory Potenza's.

A55162E8-0AB1-459C-B86B-271B2C28C6A7-331-000000D93040DCB4_zps8e2468d9.jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I missed asking a simple question....Is it the whole tyre face that's scrubbed, or just an edge?