Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Wheel Bearings

Mabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport Series 1
So my rear passenger side wheel bearing is goooooone in my vt clubby. Making the usual grinding wobble noise after 40klm/hr and when i jacked up the car it has free play in it when you rock the wheel. I am worried about having a go at replacing the bearings myself, once its on jack stands and pulled apart, if i stuff up i cant drive it anywhere for someone else to fix. I kinda have access to a press at work, but its pulling strings and i really dont want to owe anyone any favours. So, my question is, what are the options?
Ive been quoted $550 for Lube Mobile to come out and do it. My ass will hurt parting with that much cash though.
I can pull it apart and go down the road of owing favours at work and hoping i dont stuff up pulling it apart and re assembling it, which again im not keen on.
I can advertise on here or facebook for a random to do the job for me for cash cheaper than Lube Mobile. Im suprisingly ok about this lol
Can i buy the whole hub/bearing unit or the swing arm section so i dont have to press out/press in bearings and just unbolt and bolt up a new part?
I honestly have limited mechanical experience, I can do car services, change pads, change rotors, just basic stuff, so Im worried this will be out of my capability.
Cheers

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
It can be a prick of a job, which I suspect is why they want to charge $550. I did both mine, and I had the whole ass end out of the car and apart, I have a press etc. It can go "well" or it can go badly, one side was easy but I damaged one of the new bearings putting them in on the other so had to buy another one. Honestly I would not do it yourself if you aren't super confident, and you need your car mobile as soon as possible. Just my thoughts, others may disagree though.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If your going to attempt it yourself, at least go buy a workshop manual for your vehicle, and follow it. It makes things a hell of a lot easier if you can read exactly whats gotta be done a few times before actually starting the job. Ive got 2 manuals for VT through to VZ models V6 and V8. One is a gregorys brand and the other is a max ellery brand. The max ellery is probably the better one, as gregorys has gone downhill a lot with their quality since it was bought out by haynes manuals, which arent very good either. I have them all so I can cross reference them..

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1