Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear wheel camber on Monaro.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have recently put new tyres all round on the Monaro, (standard wheels and suspension), and the rear camber just doesn’t ‘look right’, it appears to be too negative. I haven’t done enough kms yet to check for tyre wear.
I don’t have the results for my last wheel alignment, they were “not available” from the workshop that did it.
I have searched this forum, and asked questions of suspension suppliers, and Holden, about the factory specs, but can’t find any that specifically state what the factory settings are. I have been told/read that excessive tyre wear is related to toe-in rather than camber, and this advice varies from 0 to +3mm per side.
Using a string line, the top of the rim, (measured at 495mm flange to flange,) is 12mm in, both sides, this equates to about 1.5 degrees negative camber …... my maths expertise.

Can somebody provide, or point me to the factory settings ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i'd take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

had my Monaro in at the local workshop they were so clueless they put spacers on for reasons, took it to a real suspension place and they just shook their heads - this is after it chewed out a tyre and also damaged a guard. muppets.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

That is part of the problem, they all know what 'they' are doing, and none seem to agree, or know, or are able to show me what the factory specs are.
It is "We do this, and it works", then others say "No mate, that's wrong. We do this."

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is part of the problem, they all know what 'they' are doing, and none seem to agree, or know, or are able to show me what the factory specs are.
It is "We do this, and it works", then others say "No mate, that's wrong. We do this."

well i just went to someone who only does suspension - job done. after the local mechanic it was night and day. (I used Fulcrum).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I contacted a couple of Pedders shops. They seemed unsure, and reluctant to give out info.
Perhaps I should spend $$s, and get all the bushes replaced ;)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
never heard anything good about pedders myself - heard they are hit and miss.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Camber is the main cause of rear tyre wear on VT through to VZ Commodores. Toe in causes outer edge wear...Toe out causes inner edge wear....

There is no factory camber adjustment for them....1.5degrees negative is a little excessive....By fitting an aftermarket camber kit I generally aim to set them around 1/2 degree to maximum 1 degree negative....And if I remember correctly, they might have a toe adjuster in the rear of the Monaros, but don't hold me to that.

As for factory settings....Not sure, but in reality, not having any factory adjustment is rather pointless knowing, as you can't adjust it anyways, without putting an aftermarket kit in.

Another solution would be to put new springs in....This will lift the rear up, which in turn reduces the camber, but my how much you lift the rear and how the car looks is another thing to look at as well.

So a couple of things to ponder

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

had my Monaro in at the local workshop they were so clueless they put spacers on for reasons, took it to a real suspension place and they just shook their heads - this is after it chewed out a tyre and also damaged a guard. muppets.

Where the heck did they put spacers? Never heard or seen them

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where the heck did they put spacers? Never heard or seen them

front end, kind of like a flat disc with holes goes behind the wheel to make them sit out further.

they were so far off getting the alignment right they thought this crap was needed.

also they couldn't get the steering wheel straight which really annoys me, took it to an actual professional and they sorted everything. Couldn't be happier.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Not sure if this will help or not but these are figures from a service manual (VT, VX, VY, VU) I downloaded ages ago, doesn't actually mention Monaro though. * is the degree sign:
GTS - Toe in: 0* +/- 1* Camber: -1*30' to -2*30'
Sedan (FE2) - Toe in: -0*19' to +0*32' Camber: -1*27' to -2*29'