Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear wheel camber on Monaro.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I don’t have the results for my last wheel alignment, they were “not available” from the workshop that did it.

Like VC said, the rear end is largely un-adjustable unless you get a camber kit installed. You will have toe adjustment (VX2 onwards do), which will in some way affect camber, but not in the way you think because of how rudimentary the swing arm suspension is in Commodores. The camber flaw is well documented with IRS Commodores, it was at its worst in the series 1 VT.

Having said that, -1.5 degrees of camber isn't bad (and it's by no means extreme), but you probably don't want to go a huge amount past that point. Honestly is probably a good point for handling.

Just monitor your tyre wear until you have a better idea, no point fixing a problem that might not exist.

front end, kind of like a flat disc with holes goes behind the wheel to make them sit out further.

Lol. Dunno what they were trying to achieve by changing wheel offset, doesn't change alignment at all.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I went for a 250km drive today to see a mob that I had good dealings with in the past.
(Should do it more often for the smile factor, and exercise the up/down bits of the engine. The only 'bogan' moment was being behind a Mustang at a servo, whose owner decided to leisurely polish his windscreen, oblivious to those waiting. Maybe he was surreptitiously eyeing off the Monaro in envy ? ….. but, off topic.)

Anyhow, a quick inspection of the suspension, and the bloke confirmed that it did ‘appear’ to be have negative camber, but not excessive. He suggested that a few bushes may be getting soft.
A delve into his computer bible showed the same FE2 sedan specs as what Doc59 replied with ( Thanks, Doc ), but he looked a bit further and found that a VY Coupe should be ½ degree negative.
We talked about fitting a camber kit, and then he discovered that the kit should not be used with the adjustable toe suspension. Hmmm, so there is a bit of finding about that to be done.

A work in progress, sometime within the next few weeks, a wheel alignment and maybe a few urethane/nolathane bushes.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Camber is the main cause of rear tyre wear on VT through to VZ Commodores. Toe in causes outer edge wear...Toe out causes inner edge wear....
Another solution would be to put new springs in....This will lift the rear up, which in turn reduces the camber, but my how much you lift the rear and how the car looks is another thing to look at as well.

Nah, I don't want to put new springs in. Apart from the camber, the ride height looks good to me.
After 14 years and 130Km, the suspension probably has sagged a little.
Maybe I'm just nit pickey.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I went for a 250km drive today to see a mob that I had good dealings with in the past.
(Should do it more often for the smile factor, and exercise the up/down bits of the engine. The only 'bogan' moment was being behind a Mustang at a servo, whose owner decided to leisurely polish his windscreen, oblivious to those waiting. Maybe he was surreptitiously eyeing off the Monaro in envy ? ….. but, off topic.)

Anyhow, a quick inspection of the suspension, and the bloke confirmed that it did ‘appear’ to be have negative camber, but not excessive. He suggested that a few bushes may be getting soft.
A delve into his computer bible showed the same FE2 sedan specs as what Doc59 replied with ( Thanks, Doc ), but he looked a bit further and found that a VY Coupe should be ½ degree negative.
We talked about fitting a camber kit, and then he discovered that the kit should not be used with the adjustable toe suspension. Hmmm, so there is a bit of finding about that to be done.

A work in progress, sometime within the next few weeks, a wheel alignment and maybe a few urethane/nolathane bushes.

There are a couple of kits out there....1 is a 4 point kit, which isn't adviseable with the adjustable toe link....the other is just a 2 point kit, which is suitable with toe adjusters....It goes in the inner section of the control arms, where as the 4 point goes to the outer section of the control arms as well

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
front end, kind of like a flat disc with holes goes behind the wheel to make them sit out further.

they were so far off getting the alignment right they thought this crap was needed.

also they couldn't get the steering wheel straight which really annoys me, took it to an actual professional and they sorted everything. Couldn't be happier.

Ah, so it sounds like they put wheel spacers on, so wonder it damaged tyres and guards...Not to mention it wouldn't have effected any part of the alignment settings....Definate tossers

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You can't put camber/ toe kits in vx2 upwards you must leave the Bush with voids missing in it to allow movement and let the toe arm do its work.camber isn't a biggy unless you do skids all the time toe is the killer of tyres set the rear alignment so you have no or very little toe in that's how you set the camber kits on the non toe link earlier irs cars too whatever gives least amount of toe in.my irs vx2 wagon wears the rears like its solid axle they out last the fronts lol

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You can't put camber/ toe kits in vx2 upwards you must leave the Bush with voids missing in it to allow movement and let the toe arm do its work.camber isn't a biggy unless you do skids all the time toe is the killer of tyres set the rear alignment so you have no or very little toe in that's how you set the camber kits on the non toe link earlier irs cars too whatever gives least amount of toe in.my irs vx2 wagon wears the rears like its solid axle they out last the fronts lol

You adjust the amount of toe in, according to how the cambers look.....Very little negative camber,(1/2 degree neg max) very little toe in (about 2MM total).....Big negative cambers like the op's, I'd be setting the toe in at approximately 3MM total, maybe even 3.5 MM toe in.

Camber is a bigger killer.....The weight of the suspension is distributed across the tyre face. So by having the bottom section of the tyre point outwards, the weight of the suspension is placed more on that section, therefore causing it to wear quicker...It is also natural, that the more negative camber added to the car, the more toe in it gets.....So using your theory, the lower the rear of a commodore is, the more chance the outer edges wear, when in actual fact, it is the inner edges that suffer

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Any toe in with camber just drags the inner edge everywhere you go get rid of the toe no more excessive wear unless you do skids .if its all stock with toe arms I don't even look at the camber when doing an alignment just toe it with the slightest bit of toe in 9 times out of 10 the camber is well withen the tolerances listed in the machines unless there's a flogged out Bush or bent arm.i like to get stupid amounts of ks out of my tyres so I've tried lots of things front and rear lol