Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear wheels spin with gearbox resistance when off ground

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Hey all

Got the VX on stands right now. Planning on doing all the brakes and a few other things. Thought I’d see how well the rear wheels are spinning in neutral with handbrake off. Turns out, not very well. They don’t spin freely at all. There’s resistance coming from the gearbox, I think, as I can hear a slight squeaking from it as I turn the rear wheels. What in the world would cause that? Yes there is fluid in the transmission. No, no idea how old it is, but it’s still pink. Car drives fine except for the occasional thump at 1500rpm when cruising.

Thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Why would you think it would spin?
Have you tried the front? Same problem as rear = it must be a 4wd.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Be your handbrake shoes in the drum.. If its in N then its free spinning .

bp_vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Be your handbrake shoes in the drum.. If its in N then its free spinning .

It’s in N but the problem is it isn’t “free” spinning. There is some resistance. If I get under the car while turning rear wheel, I can hear some sort of binding happening in gearbox.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Possible problems: Selector not lining up, Pressure pack plates not letting go, torque converter stuffed.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Hey all

Got the VX on stands right now. Planning on doing all the brakes and a few other things. Thought I’d see how well the rear wheels are spinning in neutral with handbrake off. Turns out, not very well. They don’t spin freely at all. There’s resistance coming from the gearbox, I think, as I can hear a slight squeaking from it as I turn the rear wheels. What in the world would cause that? Yes there is fluid in the transmission. No, no idea how old it is, but it’s still pink. Car drives fine except for the occasional thump at 1500rpm when cruising.

Thanks

There is going to be resistance when trying to spin the wheels, because you are also spinning the tailshaft and that is spinning the transmission output shaft, and that is still spinning the parts in the transmission this is normal.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
bef4ef152bb3fee194b2c2d2d8cdaefd.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Resistance is totally normal accompanied by a subtle squeal in one direction of rotation. The other way should be approx 2-3 times easier to turn. Just the nature of th700’s & 4L60e’s.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Resistance is totally normal accompanied by a subtle squeal in one direction of rotation. The other way should be approx 2-3 times easier to turn. Just the nature of th700’s & 4L60e’s.
I was reading up on issue on mine where ocassionaly you start it up in park and it will jolt forward a little also quite common aparently on the 4l60e