Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear whirring windy noise Vy Ute

Lingdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm
Hey guys just started noticing a whirring windy noise from the rear while driving.. it sounds more towards the passenger side rear wheel and can mainly hear it between 60 - 100km.. doesnt change if im accelerating or in idle going that speed kinda just stays the same rate as the speed im going but does make sound as though it is winding down as I brake and doesnt seem to make a diffrence when I swerve side to side... any tips or what could be the problem? Big thanks

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Trying to figure out what a whirring windy noise sounds like. Do you mean a whining noise?

Anyway I'd first rule out a faulty tyre as a first step by swapping back ones to the front and see if the noise changes.
While you have both back wheels off then ground give them a spin and see if the brakes are dragging or if there's a rumbley sound coming from the wheels bearings.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Supercharger
Check your wheel nuts. Are they all tightened properly?

Captainsim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II HSV Clubsport
Hey guys just started noticing a whirring windy noise from the rear while driving.. it sounds more towards the passenger side rear wheel and can mainly hear it between 60 - 100km.. doesnt change if im accelerating or in idle going that speed kinda just stays the same rate as the speed im going but does make sound as though it is winding down as I brake and doesnt seem to make a diffrence when I swerve side to side... any tips or what could be the problem? Big thanks
I just noticed a similar issue coming from the same place on my VY2 Clubsport. And mine starts to whine from roll off and gets louder as I speed up. Is it still okay to drive around like that?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Problem in the transmission, have the same issue at the moment with my wife's VS Clubsport.