Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rearward vs Forward facing Subs?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hi All,

Just wondering the main advantages of either having your subs facing forward or rearward? What have most ppl found to sound/punch better? Cant seam to find anything on this particular subject..

I currently have mine forward facing

Looking forward to your replies :dance:

Cheers
John.

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
It won't make a massive difference in a commodore, its mostly in hatch's that "rear loading" can be aplied.

If you have a hatch door in your backseat I would face the sub through there so that it is time alligned better and i found it to be louder.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

There has been lots of discussion on SC and Car Audio Australia forums about it.

[edit] It does make a huge difference in Commodores and other large sedans. You lose a fair bit of bass by facing them forwards, unless you can completely seal the front of the subs off from the boot area...

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Thanks StoneX, thats just the info i was after :thumbsup:

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
so as a GENERAL rule, you'll get higher SPL by having your subs positioned at the very back of the boot (i.e. up against the rear seats) and having your subs facing backwards in the boot also (i.e. pointing towards the taillights)?

It's just i can see different people interepreting what "the back of the boot" means. Is that in relation to the entire vehicle (i.e. would mean back of boot was near the taillights) or in relation to someone looking into the boot who would consider "the back" to be pushing something as far back in the boot as possible (i.e. up against the rear seats).

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I just have 1 10in sub in my vs and is makes a huge difference when I change the direction.
When I face it towards the back of the car its louder and clearer...unless the boot is open.
When its facing fowards its really quiet unless the ski port is open, and even then it isnt really as crisp and punchy as facing it backwards. Just loud and muddy
Hope it helps

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Back of boot is the tail light end, front of boot is ski port end.

I've always mounted subs at the front of the boot facing towards the tail lights, but this time i've temporarily mounted the subs at the rear of the boot facing forwards and they seem to sound better, I can't explain how though. But it's a stupid place to mount them as I can't get anything in my boot now.

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
Ive had lots of cars, from camiras to nissan exas to vc vn vr + more and lots of stereos, and always found in every car if the subs are facing toward the rear of the car its sounds alot better inside and outside the car. Rule of thumb too.. the further away you can get the sub as practical the better it will sound as bass wave length travels. Its a different range for 10" 12" and 15" but I cant remember off hand. Hope it helps.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i had my sub facing inwards to the cabin for a year or so. it sat in behind the centre seat, so when the seat was down you could see the sub. a few weeks ago i relocated the sub to the side of my boot, opposite my spare tyre and it made one hell of a difference. i was very impressed with the new bass sound and the sub is now staying there

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the further away you can get the sub as practical the better it will sound as bass wave length travels.
ok thats new to me. didn't know much happened to waves as they traveled, apart from the amplitude decreasing and the period increasing.