Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rearward vs Forward facing Subs?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
just on the side, how do you feel about non-fused wires with badly cracked insulation running directly off the battery?
(why am i playing with fire?!)

Why do you even bother? Is it in your car?:rip:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
well this threads gown down the proverbial toilet

quick silver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx Executive
i had my sub facing forwards and coming into the cabin. it soundded good but when audiotech changed it to facing the back of the car and it sounds great

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
but the wavelength of such low frequencies is so large that a small change wouldnt really effect it. However a movement from say the front of the boot to the back of the boot would definately have an effect. I'd say that a sub aiming backwards placed around the 'ski port' of the boot would get the best response in a commodore sedan

hmm wavelegth of subbass =c/f= ~345/50= ~7

boot is probably 2m, so wavelength difference is 4m which is close to 1/2 the wavelength = destructive interference?????

dunno. BTW, im not trying to argue that it doesnt make the sound better, but just discussing

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
hmm wavelegth of subbass =c/f= ~345/50= ~7

boot is probably 2m, so wavelength difference is 4m which is close to 1/2 the wavelength = destructive interference?????

dunno. BTW, im not trying to argue that it doesnt make the sound better, but just discussing

exactly, but say a slight movement (a few cms maybe) wouldnt make much of a difference.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
this is really quite interesting...I'm gathering from what I've read so far that no one really knows what they are talking about. Except perhaps StoneX...sorry to the rest of you guys.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
perhaps some constructive cristicism?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Ill admit that i know very little about what im talking about, just doing some guesswork. Can you explain how it works??

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Guys, it's not rocket science unless you make it out that way. If you like it facing forwards then go for it. If you like it facing backwards, then do that. Experiment as every setup will yield different results.

Please don't make me type out a thesis on the topic. I don't want to and I'm sure StoneX (not sure if his comprehension on the topic is as good as mine but I would sure as hell hate to wield a soldering iron battle with him!)

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
I think to a certain extent SOME people are interested in both sides of the story though, both practical and theoretical. I can stuff around with a sub, face it front, back, upside down, inside out (not literally) and find out which sounds best, but at the end of the day i still want to know the how and the why. Some people just like to understand what's going on, both in theory and in practice rather than having statements handed to them on a plater. And i'm not talking about this exclusively, but in general also. Anyways, there are some good links there that explain it, it should give people some idea of the theory behind it all.