Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reattaching distributor cap clip

OldJag

Reaction score
Members Ride
1973 XJ12
I've just pulled the dizzy cap off my 5L EFI in an old jaaag.
One of the cap clips came off in the process. I can't see how to reattach it (literally cannot see it) and google is not helping. I can't even get a camera down there to see the attachment. There's about 20mm between the attachment point and the manifold so room is limited too.
Am I going to have to bite the bullet and get a distributor wrench so I can rotate or remove the dizzy or is there one simple trick I'll be amazed by?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
It's hard enough just to get the clips back onto the distributor cap, without having any additional problems. I expect that you will have to remove the distributor to re-attach the clip, given the lack of clearance, and the need to make sure it doesn't come loose in the future. However, other forum members may have better news for you.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have fluked it by removing the dizzy cap, to re-attach it....The easiest way, would be to remove the dizzy as Blackvxgts suggested

OldJag

Reaction score
Members Ride
1973 XJ12
In the end I attached a string to the clip, got it under the attachment on the dizzy and pulled it into place.

Thanks for the help guys!