Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuild For Power Vs. New Engine

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5.0L Berlina S2 Slushbox
Hey guys,

The basic rebuild questions don't come up (as often) as other, more bolt-on style topics so I thought I would throw this one out there...

I have a 304 block, bored out to 40 thou (making it a 311/312 as informed by another member in another thread) and it's done about 300,000 kms.

I've stripped it down, honed it, etc.

It's got a slight lip on one of the cylinders, but is extremely minor.

The question is:

Should I rebuild the current engine with an ACL Race Series kit (which will up the compression, etc.) - many people recommend ACL, but I have also heard horror stories...

Everything I'd need, race kit, timing chain, etc. would set me back $1000 + (though I found a wicked deal on the race kit - $750. If anyone can find me anything cheaper, let me know!)

OR

Should I save my money now, and just do a major re-ring with normal parts, etc. and save a few hundred and put that towards a short motor from Pavtek, for about $1700. (In the ad they say 170rwkw. I've heard great things about Pavtek.)

Is my block worth 'upping' or should I just go down the stock-refresh route, wait a few months, and then get a nice fresher block from Pavtek or somewhere similar.

Any and all opinions welcome. :)

(P.S. The engine is from a 5.0L VN.)

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm thinking that...

The old man, being a knowledgable mechanic, comes around and helps out, but he knows nothing about performance, but he is meticulous and great at getting something to run how it's meant to, if you know what I mean.

He just said something to me the other day about the amount of wear on the block, and all though it all seems pretty straight, I'm thinking perhaps it would be best to just rebuild it stock with a few things that came with the car (extractors, etc.) and then a few months down the track grab the pavtek.

Any other opinions?

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Short Motor... all the way. For the price... 170 RWKW, that's fantastic, plus you know everything is kosher from the get-go.

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
'tis decided then. Thanks guys.

stormsearcher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS,GSXR1000K6
is there a pavtech engine availabe for the vr?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
whats a pavtech short motor? i have no idea