Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Rebuild

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hi, im thinking of buying a supercharger and was just after a rough price to get the ecotec rebuilt, freshened up and how much to get a thicker head gasket fitted?

cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I wouldn't say 6k, probably get away with 4k if the mechanic isn't to expensive. Unless the engine has had a hard life, crank and rods should be fine. Just get them remachined and balanced. All new bearings, pistons and rings and machine work, yeah 4k fairly easy.

Also are you after the thicker head gaskets to lower compression or something? Instead think about some L32 power rods. Lower compression and apparently quite tough. ZZ Performance . Same compression as L67 I believe, and since the L67 runs the same crank (I'm 99% sure) you will basically have a L67 bottom end, assuming new decent pistons.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Also are you after the thicker head gaskets to lower compression or something? Instead think about some L32 power rods. Lower compression and apparently quite tough. ZZ Performance . Same compression as L67 I believe, and since the L67 runs the same crank (I'm 99% sure) you will basically have a L67 bottom end, assuming new decent pistons.

Just bear in mind, thicker gaskets/spacers will reduce squish in the cylinder.
And as far as I'm aware the L32 powered metal forged rods need to be used with a L67/L32 S/C piston, as pin diameter is different?

Depending on what S/C you use, you may have to get L67 heads to run injectors in the head rather than manifold if you want to run the M90.
You could perhaps get away with a L36 (N/A) bottom-end for standandish boost.
ZZ performance actually say they rise the C/R with S/C motors for a hp gain, but I guess that would depend how much boost you want to run..

I have a turbo'd L36 running 12psi, but would rebuild with ZZ's JE forged pistons and L32 rods for more boost.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yep L32 rods need L67 pistons. But you would be pretty silly to rebuild an engine and not replace the pistons.

OP what sort of charger you looking at?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah zzp do sell higher comp pistons for the L67 its more efficient to raise the comp and run standard boost than fit a really small pulley for more boost heaps of the yanks do it. if youve seen the efficiency maps of the M90 youll see why. it makes heaps of heat fast when you spin it faster and the horsepower it takes to spin goes up heaps as well and the airflow at the same charger rpm goes down must start to come back out the inlet of the charger a bit

vs.project

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Vs ecotec engine rebuild

i was just wondering if its easy to rebuild the ecotec with having the balance shafts. as mine has done 228 and i fell that its lacking power and help would be appreciated

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do you mean easy as in DIY?