Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuild??

VNcalais5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 5ltr
hey fellas my car has done about 390000 k's. its runs good and doesnt blow smoke but thats heaps of k's. im thinking of rebuilding. i got a quote $2500 and 2 and a half weeks to do. is this good or how much is good? and what should i be looking for? thanx for the help.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
that sounds alright man...but whats getting done for that $2500? make sure they re-hone the block and heads and do all other usual machining...not just rip the engine apart and put it back together with some new bearings and gaskets.

vpbt1ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
how long have u had it for?? sure it hasnt had a rebuild down the line

get a compression test done etc could save u money if its still all in GC

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Sounds great i was quoted $3000.
But i have herd of my brothers mate getting a change over VL 6T for $1,700.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
most of the rebilding is labor. me and a mate rebuilt his girlfriends 5L. i forgot how much it cost in parts, but it wasn't much. he just got a new set of rings and bearings. took the motor to repco and got it dipped and got them to put the new cam bearings in as it is a **** of a job and i think ya need a special tool.
and ya would have to be a very bad mechanic to not hone a motor before putting rings in it..
i would be doing a comp test for sure. don't rebuild it if it doesn't need it.

VNcalais5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 5ltr
yer the 2500 was machined and stuff. how much is a comp test? and does the average mechanic do it? and i only just brought it so i wouldnt have a clue if it has had a rebuild already.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
If your going to re-build it, get yourself a few goodies to put in at the same time.. Altho its getting a rebuild, And at that price a cam wouldnt go astray ;)

But thats how i would do it.. A rebuild should revive the car back to Its earlier days but a bit of performance will really show you whos boss :D

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
ok i have a Q, how much is an engine/trans rebuild, and would i just be better buying a crate motor and a vs gearbox??

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the average cost to rebuild an engine (stock) is about $3k, a trans 'build is around $1.5k-2k...so yes, for a little extra buying a brand spanker from holden may be a better alternative if you just want a reliable fresh engine and box.