Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuilding a vp power steering rack

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
gday lads,

im looking at maybe having a crack at rebuilding my steering rack as its leaking quite bad, ive rebuilt a power steering pump before and that was quite fun i actually made a how to guide on it and im hoping to snap in some pics of this steering rack rebuild so others can do it also and save some $$.

ive worked out the rough cost of a steering rack rebuild kit which is:

off ebay a pack that consists of:
Steering rack ends, Boots, tie rod ends, cable ties and cotter pins is $89
off gumtree:
rebuild seal kit is $85

im yet to inquire at the local car parts plus theyre usually heaps cheap on seal kits and rack ends etc ill update later for a proper confirmed price of everything. but even from 5 mins looking on the net $174 is better then paying $350 from a workshop that requires a changeover rack. fair enough you can get them on ebay for $200 but i dunno i wouldnt buy something like that off ebay i wouldnt trust it but thats me.

has anyone here done this before? rebuilt a rack? did you need any special tools or anything? any info would be great on rebuilding one of these at the moment im just lining everything up but i will be rebuilding it soon.

DavoVP

Reaction score
I paid 180 exchange from a local mob, I could not argue with that. The work was done and it came with a warranty.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
oh wow thats excellent i got quoted $350 from the joint down the road, what do they replace in the racks they do?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The Max Ellery VT to VZ workshop manual has a section in it on rebuilding the steering racks, these are similar to the VR/VS racks. It looks like you need some special tools, and it looks like a lot of fiddly small stuff has to be measured for wear etc and then reassembled correctly. I paid $200 for my reco rack on ebay. Its been there for around 12 months or so now and it still feels nice and tight with bugger all play..

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
ive rebuilt a VN rack but i am yet to test it. i had to make up a special tool to get the main cylinder nut off as it sits 2" below flush. ill get a pic tonight if ya want. wasnt hard at all after i made the tool

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Holden Commodore VN VP P/S RackEnds Boots Tie Rod Ends | eBay

rack ends, tie rod ends, boots and cable ties $65 ($50 + $15 delivery). clocked up 16,000 km's on them so far and they're holding up quite well with the punishment of some rough road driving, checked them for wear/play last week while i had the car up doing other stuff (can't find the email i originally sent about their origin, it wasn't china so i went ahead with the purchase). but honestly they don't make **** to last these days.... pulled an original ball joint from a vn with 500,000+ km's on the clock the other day.... doubt any 3rd party replacement would last that long.

the seller on ebay with reco'd/remanufactured racks for $200 with an 18 month warranty, they've been around for quite a while selling them as i remember looking at them about 1 year ago contemplating replacing the rack but ended up not having to.

Robert kiem

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodorev
Hi people im a new member I've got a vs commodore 2000 series 3 can anybody tell me if a vt 1998 commodore power steer rack fit the vs cheers

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
You might have more luck in the VS or VT section of the website.