Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuilding a VS Transmission

DEE SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 1997 series 2
Hi any body rebuilt there 4L60E themselves? Any where i could get a detailed repair manual from? What type of parts, how much and where you could you buy them from? 2nd Gear is slipping/blown 1st, 3rd and 4th are ok. any info or suggestions would be very helpful thanks.

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Hey mate,

I'm just about finished on a T700 rebuild myself (4l60e without the electronics really). Bought all the parts off a US ebay seller for peanuts, they're called CT Powertrain but there are a few on there. They also sell the repair manuals but I found everything I needed from Google.

If you're going to do it youself best thing to do is pull the trans out and strip it down to each individual component. After you've stripped it down clean it all perfectly. Then you can check it all out and see what will need to be replaced. Regardless of wear you should replace the band, all the clutches, all the steels and all the seals. Better to do it right the first time than to do it twice.

If you have enough spare cash there are also quite a few things you can do to upgrade the box. Some updated/upgraded parts include:
- Steel Pistons
- Beast Sunshell
- Wider Band
- 5 Gear Pinion
- Strengthened output shaft
- 13 vane pump kit
- Various kinds of shift kits
- Various other fixes (TCC apply fix is a common one for the 4l60e)
- Upgraded servos (corvette, billet, etc)
Check out the various sellers for an idea of what parts you can upgrade your box with.

Theres a few tools you'll need to do everything yourself or if you're handy you can make them yourself. Otherwise somethings you just won't be able to do. Some of the things I wasn't able to do included the fitting of the input shaft seals and the compression of the various piston spring retainers.

The 4 input shaft seals are solid teflon rings which need to be stretched out to be put into place, they then need to be compressed back to the correct size. They are a critical seal and will cause all sorts of dramas if they aren't sealing correctly.

The piston spring retainers are spring loaded plates which push against the apply pistons, pushing them back into place when the gear they apply for is no longer selected. I fitted stiffer springs with my shift kit and was unable to compress them down far enough to fit the circlip that holds them in place.

I just took those parts in to a trans shop and got them to do it. Cost bugger all and saved me the hassles.

I have a bit of literatur that I can send to you if you want. PM if you're interested.

Cheers,
Jarrad

DEE SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 1997 series 2
Thanks mate PM sent

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Thanks for the info. Was going to tackle this a couple of years ago, but everyone said it was too hard.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Excelling thread guys, this should be stickied, or we need a JC "Auto Trans Tech/Rebuild thread"
I'm pretty keen to get my old 4L60-E out and see if I can find the cause of the annoying shudder in 1st Gear under Load.

Anyway I happen to have a few good files on the 4L60, do you guys want :

- 4L60-E Overhaul Procedures
- Electronic Control Schematic/Details
- Hydraulic Schematics
- Manual Shift Conversion Guide

If you answered YES to all questions, CLICK HERE then click Download

downloadmh.jpg

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Excelling thread guys, this should be stickied, or we need a JC "Auto Trans Tech/Rebuild thread"
I'm pretty keen to get my old 4L60-E out and see if I can find the cause of the annoying shudder in 1st Gear under Load.

Anyway I happen to have a few good files on the 4L60, do you guys want :

- 4L60-E Overhaul Procedures
- Electronic Control Schematic/Details
- Hydraulic Schematics
- Manual Shift Conversion Guide

If you answered YES to all questions, CLICK HERE then click Download

Check your link again - file size is only 3kb

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Hey mate,

I'm just about finished on a T700 rebuild myself (4l60e without the electronics really). Bought all the parts off a US ebay seller for peanuts, they're called CT Powertrain but there are a few on there. They also sell the repair manuals but I found everything I needed from Google.

If you're going to do it youself best thing to do is pull the trans out and strip it down to each individual component. After you've stripped it down clean it all perfectly. Then you can check it all out and see what will need to be replaced. Regardless of wear you should replace the band, all the clutches, all the steels and all the seals. Better to do it right the first time than to do it twice.

If you have enough spare cash there are also quite a few things you can do to upgrade the box. Some updated/upgraded parts include:
- Steel Pistons
- Beast Sunshell
- Wider Band
- 5 Gear Pinion
- Strengthened output shaft
- 13 vane pump kit
- Various kinds of shift kits
- Various other fixes (TCC apply fix is a common one for the 4l60e)
- Upgraded servos (corvette, billet, etc)
Check out the various sellers for an idea of what parts you can upgrade your box with.

Theres a few tools you'll need to do everything yourself or if you're handy you can make them yourself. Otherwise somethings you just won't be able to do. Some of the things I wasn't able to do included the fitting of the input shaft seals and the compression of the various piston spring retainers.

The 4 input shaft seals are solid teflon rings which need to be stretched out to be put into place, they then need to be compressed back to the correct size. They are a critical seal and will cause all sorts of dramas if they aren't sealing correctly.

The piston spring retainers are spring loaded plates which push against the apply pistons, pushing them back into place when the gear they apply for is no longer selected. I fitted stiffer springs with my shift kit and was unable to compress them down far enough to fit the circlip that holds them in place.

I just took those parts in to a trans shop and got them to do it. Cost bugger all and saved me the hassles.

I have a bit of literatur that I can send to you if you want. PM if you're interested.

Cheers,
Jarrad

if you fit a wider 2nd gear band make sure you fit a brandnew reverse input drum for it to run on or you burn the band out quickly

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
if you fit a wider 2nd gear band make sure you fit a brandnew reverse input drum for it to run on or you burn the band out quickly

Would be ideal to replace the drum regardless, I'm yet to see one come out of a worn trans that doesn't have an uneven surface.

Delco, do you know of any tricks to refit the input drum back into the trans. Trying to get the 3-4 clutch packs to line up with the teeth on the front planetary is driving me mad.