Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuilding an L36/L67 in South Tasmania?

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
For what its worth, maybe put the motor in a ute and bring it over to a motor rebuilder in Melbourne, there are some excellent re-builders here.

Would not recommend doing it this way for warranty reasons, the engine builders won't pay for frieght costs of warranty claims.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Would not recommend doing it this way for warranty reasons, the engine builders won't pay for frieght costs of warranty claims.

You didnt read my comment correctly,
I was saying for the owner "SS Stoot" to bring it across himself,
deliver it to the re-builder, and when its ready to be collected, pick it up themselves.
No freight costs involved, just the cost of putting the L67 in a ute or similar for approx. $229 or similar on the spirit of Tasmania, and approx. the same return to collect it when its ready,

and take the opportunity to do a bit road trip while on the main land.
Well that's what I would plan to do, there has to be an ulterior motive to enjoy a hobby.
In reality, when your doing a complete motor rebuild like that, its just a needle in a hay stack.
However, SS Stoot they may of found a re-builder in Tasmania, so the conversation is mute,
on a side note,
I rang a re-builder to do the heads on my L67, and the quote as $600, In reality, that's cheap, included is all the gaskets and items to re-assemble it.
If your going to spend real money on a serious project [the heart of a car],
the cost should not enter in to it, as the cost out weight rewards.
If there is a warranty claim, take the vehicle across, and they can sort it out.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
To deliver the engine himself would cost $460 plus other expenses there and back, then he has to pick it back up when it's done that's another $460+,say he has to make a warranty claim he has to pay that again, as to me reading your post incorrectly I apologize but you did the same with his first post where he asked for a rebuilder in Hobart or Glenorchy area and you recommend Melbourne.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
$229 is the approx cost of a return trip, so it would be $458 for both trips,
Based on that, you would make the trip worth it?, taking into account, if the re-builders is that good, it would be well worth the trip.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$229 is the approx cost of a return trip.
Who gave you that figure? $229 is a person and a car one way. I do the trip at least every two years. I allow about $500 return just for the ferry and i never travel in the expensive dates. Travel in summer holis and the cost is close to $1k for a car and 1 passenger.
You add a trailer and the costs goes up by $370 each way.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you are can wangle a day sailing the passenger fare is around $90. But those are rare in off peak times. Quite often the days where they offer a day sailng the cost of a car is $130.
What they advertise on TV is quite misleading because when you book you find the total is rarely under $250 each way. If it was $229 return I'd head to Adelaide every six months instead of every 2 years.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Who gave you that figure? $229 is a person and a car one way. I do the trip at least every two years. I allow about $500 return just for the ferry and i never travel in the expensive dates. Travel in summer holis and the cost is close to $1k for a car and 1 passenger.
You add a trailer and the costs goes up by $370 each way.

Its on the Spirit of Tasmania website, based on the days you wish to travel.
I did say its an average, as prices are different on different days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah its deceiving because the cheapest you can get a car one way is 100 bucks. Add a day sailing 85 bucks. Try to get a day sailing in the winter when cars are 100 bucks, good luck. Day sailings tend to be in busy times. If they are advertising car and passenger for 115 each way they are FOS. I have travelled on the ferry at least 6 x return. Pisses me off when they say one thing and it's BS. They shouldn't get away with it but they seem too. I went over last September and the fares were 600 return. Yet at the same time they advertise on TV how cheap it is and it's when you book you realise you can never get over and back much under 500 bucks. If they're saying 115 each way and a day sailing which is the cheapest at 85 bucks then the car is costing you 30 NFW. I have travelled on the Spirit for 23 years and never been able to get over and back as cheaply as they claim.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's like flying Jetstar. People who use them try and tell me i can fly into Adelaide for 90 bucks one way. Yes you probably can if you red eye out of Launceston and spend a night in the airport and then red eye to Adelaide at 6am the next day. The costs to get to Tas never work out as cheaply as mainlanders are led to believe. It's just clever marketing or wrongful marketing. Trouble is its not until you sit down and begin to book your ticket you realise that all the claims of getting over and back for 230 bucks is BS. Like i said i use the ferry a fair bit as a necessity so i can bring a ute load over. If i was to fly i could get to Adelaide and back for 380 bucks on Virgin. Driving costs me closer to 800 and i lose 4 days in travel.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
It’s hard done here to find decent people that can actually build what you want and how you want it to go but from my experience tas engine for block Reggie for the head Phil mcgraph for box and diff and pro automotive kootsy for the tune