Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuilt 5L 308 Run in period?

al's vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey guys,

Just had my engine rebuilt.

Ive done 3000k with n oil change done at 1000k. My engine reconditioner couldnt tell me an exact time ???? so how long till shes all run in and i can use it like it should be used??

Cheers
Allan

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
should have dropped the oil a bit earlier than 1000 400 is best but anyways do another change with new filter and itll be right 2000-3000klm the motor is run in

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
3000 jesus its the most run in engine ive heard of slap a new filter and oil in it and go hard

al's vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Motor rebiuld

Hey, thanks for that, I thought it should be run in.
Cheers

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
i have always stuck to one method thats is set the idle around 1700-1900rpm ad let it run for 15 mins (only if you have had a new cam and lifters etc) then after that just drive around loading up the car in 4th gear for about 30 mins to bed in the rings and there ya go all done

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
exactly^^^^^

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
rebuilt engines arent at them opitmum till after about 2-3000klms sure you can bed the rings in quick and i never said 2-3000ks is a run in period i said it'd be run in in 2-3000k's but i wouldnt go thrashing it it till id atleast put a couple of thousand on the clock

Last edited:

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
i have always stuck to one method thats is set the idle around 1700-1900rpm ad let it run for 15 mins (only if you have had a new cam and lifters etc) then after that just drive around loading up the car in 4th gear for about 30 mins to bed in the rings and there ya go all done

thats what i use to with old school v8s i never had an issue but i cant say about later model v8s id say feel it out if it seems to be nice and smooth slowly notch up the revs your willing to give it all engines are different !