Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuilt, cammed VE Calais V, dyno run and results

trixtrem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V HSVi 6.0L Supercharged V8
Here is my '07 Calais V on the dyno. The motor had 100k km on it when it lost a roller off a lifter and turned my oil into Black metal flake paint!!!. Motor was pulled, thoroughly cleaned, checked, measured, honed new rings, ARP head bolts, VCM cam, Hi Vol oil pump, GTS headers, diff back mufflers, VCM OTR, and mafless tune.

hope you guys like, am super happy, pity the rpm, torque pickup was buggered... so no torque figures...but HP i was happy with.

hope you like

Last edited by a moderator:

trixtrem

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, goes awesome, how does the 1900 go, that's the next thing on the list.

peace

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
nah it's awesome. power everywhere and it is heaps quiet so stealth is very good.
highly recommended mod if you can get the money together.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I'm not going to prick your balloon Ben - you've just seen your car rise like a phoenix from the ashes.
Some fundamentals underpinning that video graph are incorrect from an outright shootout perspective, but like you I'd be stoked to see it roar back into life too and glad you are happy with the way it drives in the real world.
What oil are you running this time around?
Single spinner diff?

trixtrem

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replies guys, yeah money is the big thing ... but i figure time will sort that out, @ pirate, how do you meen, where i got the work done, accidently closed the bonnet on the rpm pickup, and as i understand the explaination, that is why a torque curve could not be provided, i would intereseted in knowing what you are refering to. oil wise..pretty sure its what the high end holdens run, the place i got the work done is the walkinshaw dealer, and they offered two different oils, cheap and expensive...thats all i know...lol so went expensive just in case...lol. regarding the diff, its whatever cam out of the factory, its a limited slip unit if that helps, my big passion is motorcycles, so i couldnt tell u exactly.

thanks again guys

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah good oil every 7500km will see you another 100,000km. Nah mate 318kW @ 5950 is very good. LSD was not standard, only came out with the sports suspension option BTW so 318kW through one wheel would be more like riding a motorbike!
You can work out max torque from the curve if you want, but not that important really.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Im not going to dance around it this, there are some serious questions to be asked in here.

How loose was the strapping?

Oil that high end Holdens run? They all use the same grade oil. Theres no expensive and cheap oil unless theyre talking about different brands. A rebuilt engine - they shouldnt have even given you a choice.

A torque figure could not be provided because they shut the bonnet? What kinda half arsed mob is this?

I know youre really happy to get the car back but id be raising a lot of eyebrows.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dynos are just measuring devices, and just like every other measuring device, they can be "fiddled with" to provide higher or lower figures. 2 ways to bodge your reading are by having your bonnet open (check) and not strapping down tight (check) they can also drop the tyre pressure and put an incorrect diff ratio input into the dyno before the run. all of which will yeild a higher HP figure than it has in reality. if they hadve included the torque curve, you wouldve noticed it doesnt intersect at 5252rpm which will instantly tell you the reading isnt quite right.

another way they fool you is to change RPM to KMPH which makes it nigh on impossible to tell if your HP reading is right.

but still, its nice to have a graph that shows the 400HP figure. you can show off to all your mates now. stick it on the 1/4 and youll get a much more realistic idea of its power.