Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuilt motor and have coolent leaking out of the exhaust manifold help plz

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
hi guys rebuilt me 202 and i started it and it has coolent slowly bubling out of the exhaust manifold, i dont no if i could of put the head gaset on up side down and i used a non harding brush on glue reckomended to me and a mate said i didnt need glue any help would be great

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
hi guys rebuilt me 202 and i started it and it has coolent slowly bubling out of the exhaust manifold, i dont no if i could of put the head gaset on up side down and i used a non harding brush on glue reckomended to me and a mate said i didnt need glue any help would be great

Sounds like a leaking head gasket.

What brand & type of gasket did you use?
The ACL Mono torque require a totally clean & dry head & block and the head to be torqued down in 3 stages. This is common with most head gaskets for 202s on the market.

You could try running some chemiweld through the coolant system which might seal it up. But on a new engine I would do the head gasket again. You will need to buy a VRS Kit which will contain all the required gaskets plus a set of stem seals which you wont need.

cheers
Scott

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the info scott, i bought a full ACL rebuild kit, but i torqued it down in 2 stages that wouldnt of worped the head or nothing?

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Hey mate, iv done this before, iv put the head gasket on upside down and round the wrong way, are you certain it was on properly, they only fit one way, best way to tell is line up the coolant holes, if i remember correctly, i think its the metal pretty surface of the head gasket to be facing the block.

Tourqing the head can be done in 2 different methods, as per the torque specs ont he pack, (cant remember but one is metric and one is imperial, something like that) but yea, im not to crash hot on it all but i know a head gasket on wrong can cause that problem.

Hope this helps.

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think i have it on the right way as u said cos of the coolent ports carnt rember cos i did it over a mth ago been doing it as a weekend thing but i used this glue and i went 2 the shop i bought it from and they said i shouldnt of used it and i didnt really need to be glued but i got the right glue this time so i hav a new head gasget on the way so i wil just re do it next weekend

streetholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
You dont really need the glue, iv ben told not to by a few people, but iv only used head gaskets and its never leaked. just gotta get it on the right way and do it up to the proper torque specs.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
no gasket should ever need sealant on them really i never use gasket goo at all unless im sealing the corners of valley gaskets on inlet manifolds on V engines.sealant gives it a weak point to blow from