Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reccomendations for sub replacement?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guy's, i'm currently running a Soundstream 15 inch. But i listen to a wide variety of music, and a 15 inch, just dosen't suit my listening, and dosen't keep up with some of the faster beats.
So, i'd like to replace it with a good quality 12, or even a 10.
I have a budget of around$300 for the sub,maybe a little more, and money aside for an enclosure.

I have the day off tommorow, so i'm going to have a look in some stores, but as most of you would know, stores (particulary one's in your area) don't stock everything, so i may end up purchasing something online, or perhaps getting a store to order something in.

So, does anyone have any reccomendations for a sub within my budget.
I'm considering an Alpine Type R, but i've read a couple of times that they are a bit overated?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate i'm most likely a bit bias in this situation because i listen to alot of metal, however i highly recomend 10inch subs. compared to a 12" they are alot quick and more responsive, they produce an entirely different sound in my opinion. i also listen to some hip hop and they still can hit those low notes, and hold them however from my experience two 10"'s would be better if you listen to alot of hip hop.. but then again, i'm prob. bias haha.
but all i'm trying to say is, look into the 10's you might be surpised

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah mate, i actually had 2 Blaupunkt Velocity 10's, a couple of years ago, in the back of a VW Polo. So i agree with you there. 2 10's however, are out of my budget, as i'd have to purchase an extra amp..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Had a bit of a look online, and have come up with these few options.
Welcoming any comments on them

MB Quart discus 12''
SPL Dynamic XTR250 12''
Boston G212 12''
Alpine Type R 12''

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
What sort of music do you listen to?

For about 300ish...
If you're after something a bit more sq, have a look at boston G2, peerless xxls or image dynamics IDQ for a start.

Or spl wise maybe dd 510?

I can vouch for boston and dd subs, both very good at what they do. One great thing about my boston is the way it keeps up with really fast drum beats.. doesn't disolve into a muddy mess. The dd I tried out was rediculous, it was stupidly loud but even then it wanted more power than the 500w I gave it.

I can't comment on type Rs, but have also heard mixed reviews.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey Bezz, i don't really listen to a particular type of music all the time. It will range from Hip Hop/Rap, to RnB, and anything from techno to metal. Although lately i've really been getting back into my techno and drum and bass, which is my main reason for really wanting to upgrade my sub.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Ah ok cool, well i listen to a lot of dnb and rock/metal with my boston and really can't fault it.. so that's my recommendation ;) The problem for me now is I want to get a new amp...

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i had a pair of 12'' kicker competition subs and they were better than all the other subs i tried including rockford fosgate the bass was awesome with just a small 2 ch coustic amp

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Is there a site i can view peerless subs on, i'm searching and it's coming up with washers and dryers lol