Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reccomendations for sub replacement?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i had a pair of 12'' kicker competition subs and they were better than all the other subs i tried including rockford fosgate the bass was awesome with just a small 2 ch coustic amp

Hey mate, i dont really want to go for a dual setup. I want to keep it fairly simple, with just a quality single unit, that will allow me to listen to a wider variety of music

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ah ok cool, well i listen to a lot of dnb and rock/metal with my boston and really can't fault it.. so that's my recommendation ;) The problem for me now is I want to get a new amp...

The G2, is that the same as the G212, or am i looking at a different sub?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Peerless

There's a dealer for Peerless. They're mainly known for their home audio stuff, however their gear is getting really popular over on MEA atm. The xxls subs are meant to be really good bang for buck.

Edit: here's the specs on their car audio sub

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm liking the look of the G2 at the moment. From what i'm reading, it's quite a good SQ sub..i'm considering an SPL Dynamics XTR250 also..
Would i notice a huge difference between a 10, and a 12, being in such a large car?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I haven't run a 10 in ages so I'm not too sure. I think when you start getting into these better quality subs the size isn't as much as an issue, the 12 should be just as responsive as a 10. I guess a 12 should sound slightly louder than a 10 based on cone size, but then you have to take into account sensitivity and all that other crap.

I haven't heard an SPL dynamics sub before but it seems holdenboy has proved they go damn loud haha

btw, didnt you buy that soundstream sub not too long ago?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i haven't had the Sound Stream all that long now. Aside from the fact that the box i made for it, takes up my entire boot, i can't always listen to the music i want, and i'm chasing a more SQ setup.

=bullet40=

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive BT-1
ive got a 12" mtx thunder 6000 in my vz and that keeps up with most of the music i listen too ( hip hop, drum and bass...all sorts) and thats an old school one...the newer models that i have heard are alot more punchy then mine...and the lower models ie 4500 or 5500 will fit in your budget...and they sound great...

djs7cc

Dylan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Ex Cop
Hey mate, i dont really want to go for a dual setup. I want to keep it fairly simple, with just a quality single unit, that will allow me to listen to a wider variety of music

hey mate
i have a pair of the kicker competition subs (black ones)
and they get pretty much everything man
they get ur real low dnb beats also ur really fast double kicker drums in metal and punk/emo
they are a really good sub
if u live in perth u can have a listen if u havent already
they dont take up that much room in my boot(about half)
but yeh i know u dont want double but ur not going to get much better value then those
the JL audio W3 is really good
go into jb hifi (i work there) and try get a good price
i would do about 350 ish for a sub like that
(pretty cheap)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I dont rate kicker at all for sq applications. They'd be about the same level as the soundstream sub (maybe a bit lower?).

High end JL isn't bad however, but you do pay for the name a bit.