Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reccomended VS upgrades

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Hey guys,
Looking at getting a VS in the near future for a first car. What are some good but not too expensive parts/mods that I can do to it to get a little more power and make it look better?
I was thinking:
Pacemaker Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
Pod Filter
18" or 19" wheels
Super low springs all round, Or super lows back and lows in front
Neons on the interior at feet and in boot.

Also, If I were to strip and paint the interior with spray paint (high quality) and give it a clear coat, Would it turn out alright?

Cheers.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Sounds good. Probably steer clear of the pod unless you can mount it somewhere it can get COOL air. Performance wise panel filters perform just as well and you can then mount an ORT style cold air intake.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
yea you can buy a vs supercharged cold air intake for your car also it adds a little extra kw's and also keeps the engine cooler so then you will get more power, only about 70 bucks too so its a good little upgrade and with the K&N air filter thats even better.:thumbsup:

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Heard rumors that superlow 'King's are a hard ride compared to the Lovell's.....haven't experienced a ride on either springs....like you I am waiting for some advise (what does everyone else think). Went down to Autobarn yesterday and got a 3.5 inch pod filter, disconnected the original filter and with no adaptor connected the pod just infront of the MAF. Performance is the same as it is sucking the hot air out of the engine bay. I haven't connected it to cold air yet and will see how it goes. The performance side of things is not worrying me the car goes great the way it is. But the pod does make it sound alot better.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
**edited** Wrong thread*

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hey guys,
Looking at getting a VS in the near future for a first car. What are some good but not too expensive parts/mods that I can do to it to get a little more power and make it look better?
I was thinking:
Pacemaker Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
Pod Filter
18" or 19" wheels
Super low springs all round, Or super lows back and lows in front
Neons on the interior at feet and in boot.

Also, If I were to strip and paint the interior with spray paint (high quality) and give it a clear coat, Would it turn out alright?

Cheers.

If you are worried about it being not too expensive, then don't buy anything new. Pacemakers are around $600 - $700 brand new, your exhaust will cost you around $300, 18" rims, around $1000 plus the cost of tyres, 19" rims, budget for $1500 for something decent, springs are **** all, it's shocks that will set you back $300+ for front and rear, neons look gay and will make alot of people laugh at you (but that's personal preference), and painted interiors (unless done professionally) look tacky and pods are useless unless they are set up in a custom air intake in your front bar or somewhere similar which involves cutting steel under your airbox to run pipe etc down there. Get a supercharged V6 over the radiator cold air intake from Holden spare parts. They work better.

That's rough prices for brand new stuff. Secondhand, look at maybe half the prices i listed if you can find a bargain.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Went down to Autobarn yesterday and got a 3.5 inch pod filter, disconnected the original filter and with no adaptor connected the pod just infront of the MAF. Performance is the same as it is sucking the hot air out of the engine bay. I haven't connected it to cold air yet and will see how it goes. The performance side of things is not worrying me the car goes great the way it is. But the pod does make it sound alot better.

Performance is the same because it doesn't do anything.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I still don't get why people think pod filters do something for performance?? It is the same as a panel filter, it's just in a pod shape. And as for the sound, what is so good about the sound of air being sucked into an intake pipe?

I think alot of people think that other people will think they have some sort of forced induction under the bonnet or some hardcore mod. The intake noise sounds weird, and is annoying. But each to their own, if you like it, you like it.

If you want some better performance for your V6 (and look up the 30 billion threads that tell you the same using the search function on this forum), go to a Holden dealership into the spare parts division, buy a V6 supercharged cold air intake snorkel, then head to Supercheap, Repco Autobarn etc, throw away $70 on a K&N or Lukey PANEL filter, and then feel the slightly better performance.

Supercharged V6 CAI's will benefit your car the best with a tune and a 2.5" cat back exhaust.