Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recent Accident Question

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Take your car to a repairer that is one that is sanctioned by your insurer. Then get a written quote from them, and take that quote to your brother-in-law.

Get him to write a quote that will still cover the cost, but comes out lower than the one from their repairer. Then take the quotes to the insurance company and they will likely go with the cheaper quote. That's what they did in my case anyway.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Its a good point about hidden damage, I got run up the back of in my 300C Chrysler a few years back, admittedly a bit harder than yours sounds. It actually hardly looked damaged at all. Cut a long story short, when they pulled off the bumper it had damaged the aluminium brace panel behind the bumper and the reversing sensors, $3k later....

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Yeah, a little worried about any hidden damage as the tow bar took all the impact so not sure if anything has bent or been damaged where the tow bar connects to the car, as I really wasn't sure what I was looking for when I had a look under the car. I'll have my bro-inlaw have a proper look tomorrow and see what the real damage is.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yep gotta watch out for the non-visble damage. If the impact rippled the boot floor it will get pretty expensive pretty fast.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Stuff the old bag, you don't owe her anything and she probably shouldn't be driving anyway.
Do it properly and go through your insurance company, then your car is repaired properly and it's all above board.
Trying to help strangers save money generally ends up with you getting ####ed these days.

White VH SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
White VH SS 5l manual
As a smash repairer myself go to your shop go through your insurance compony 3rd party claims are rubbish you will pay no excess and won't affect your premium

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If you have comprehensive insurance, and can nominate the "at fault" driver, they repair your car and chase her or her company for the payment. Your insurance isn't affected at all and you have no "at fault" record as a consequence.

This is my experience also and is the best way to go imo.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Just an update for you all.

My bro-inlaw had a look and reckons the bumper definitely needs a full respray plus he thinks my tow bar is bent. He said he wouldn't know for sure if there's any further damage until he removes the bumper but we were pressed for time. I didn't even bother contacting the old lady's husband again because I couldn't be bothered having an argument with him over who was gonna fix the car. Decided to keep it above board and go directly through the insurance then he can decide whether he wants to pay cash or not with his own insurer.

Turns out my bro-inlaw is a Suncorp approved repairer which works out great! Called Suncorp, not gonna cost me anything as I had the other driver's details. I just have to take it to one of their assessment centers so they can have a look and then my bro-inlaw will be allowed to fix it. I even get the unlimited days car hire as a bonus. Pretty sure I'll get a new tow bar also but not sure if I'll refit it, so may have a cheap brand new tow bar for sale soon if anyone's interested.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Definitely the best way to deal with this matter. No cost to you and no hassles.

Keep us informed as to what you find when the bumper's removed.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Definitely best result

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II.IV.X