Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rechroming door belt moulding

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
which door belts are you talking about? are you talking about these ones? these are stainless
s-l1600.jpg

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
there will be like a (what looks like a film come off when sanding), strange ive bought new old stock holden ones for mine and highly polished them (wet sand and machine buff on a drill) as they are almost 40 years old even new, shelf wear

you didnt have to cut it, just use a magnet, try a speaker or even a fridge magnet, if it stick then its tin, stainless is not magnetic

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
there will be like a (what looks like a film come off when sanding), strange ive bought new old stock holden ones for mine and highly polished them (wet sand and machine buff on a drill) as they are almost 40 years old even new, shelf wear

you didnt have to cut it, just use a magnet, try a speaker or even a fridge magnet, if it stick then its tin, stainless is not magnetic
Some low grade stainless is magnetic. I was told this by an exhaust shop. My extractors are over 20 years old and still in excellent condition and are low grade stainless.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I know the trims fitted around the glass in VB's was anodised aluminium because we fitted a brand new set to a base VB years ago. I remain sure the original trims weren't stainless steel because of the car's origins (ie Germany) and the efforts being made back then to reduce weight for improved fuel consumption.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
steel as stainless is magnetic unless they have invented something new.
I thought the trims were a cast alloy like tin (hence the rust underneath) as in a tin can and then either anodised or chrome plated

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
well it looks like @griezy was right, Its light Stainless Steel all the way thru them just like the earlier eh hr ect Holden trims.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Being stainless they will buff to a mirror shine then on a rag wheel with jewellers rouge. When I was in the RAAF the belts we were issued had a matte stainless buckle. One of the recruits father was a jeweller and when he was home on leave he had his father buff it and it was like a mirror. Of course he got hauled over the coals when the corporal saw it and he had to buy a replacement buckle. Seems they were matte for a reason which was so they didn't reflect sunlight and make you an easy target.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
steel as stainless is magnetic unless they have invented something new.
I thought the trims were a cast alloy like tin (hence the rust underneath) as in a tin can and then either anodised or chrome plated
My bad, I was told a few years ago (maybe 10-15 years ago) by a few people to use a magnet to see if things are stainless steel, I’ve tried stainless tyre valve caps and stainless bolts and washers they were not magnetised so i believed it, and didn’t give it any more thought, but after this discussion I’ve tried my FX hubcap with a fridge magnet and it did stick but was not very strong magnetised sticking, very easily feel off, and as of rust stainless steel can rust in extreme conditions, my mum lived on the Gold Coast right on the canals and the stainless steel solar lights use to rust, I had the same stainless solar lights at my place near Bathurst, never had a speck of rust in 4 years, need marine grade stainless on the sea waters, rust marks can go onto anything, vh headlights are one example, have you ever seen the headlight bucket rust and the plastic surrounds gets rust colour baked into the plastic, the rust marks underneath the trim would be rust transfer from the clips that holds them on

Last edited: