Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommend a good-non droning catback setup for a VR V6

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Yes another exhaust thread...

My current setup on my VR V6 is: Advance headers, stock cat, 2.5" redback catback (to suit live axle) with no rear resonator (not sure if its mandrel bent but i would assume so).

My issue with my current setup is that it drones lightly at 100kmh on the freeway (at just under 2000 rpm in 4th). It also drones around 2000-3000 rpm, particular if the car is carrying extra load. I want to get rid of that drone (the typical buick 3800 mellow groan).

I'd also like the exhaust to sound good (for a buick V6) It has a decent burble on idle, doesn't sound too good cruising, and sounds ok in the higher revs. Ideally it'd sound good on idle and while cruising around town/on the highway as the car spends most of its time below 3000 rpm. A good note above 3000 would also be great for when i put my foot down. Basically deep, harsh and crisp.

1. Will putting a long hotdog at the rear of my current catback get rid of the drone and sound half decent?

2. What tends to be a good sounding setup for a Buick 3800 with headers?

3. I've heard people say this setup is decent, and sounds significantly different to a redback. True or not? 2.5" CAT BACK SPORTS EXHAUST VN VP VR VS COMMODORE (eBay item 360317623917 end time 06-Feb-11 21:56:55 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Good luck with getting it to sound good everywhere in the rev range.

1. Fitting a hotdog will reduce the drone, but it won't eliminate it. Nothing will apart from fitting a standard system.

2. All 2 1/2" singles with the same configuration will sound similar, you could try changing the centre muffler to a chambered glass packed muffler and fit the hotdog.

3. Supercat systems tend to be louder than Redback. Some people like the sound of Lukey systems, but exhaust note is all subjective.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Twin systems tend to drone less at cruising speeds. Mines really strange.

1000-1400rpm, loud burble/rumble - eg going 50km/h in drive (tcc on), moving to 3rd shifts down a gear increases rpm and makes it quiet.
1500-2200rpm, completely silent - most cruising speeds.
2300-3200rpm, really bloody loud
4000+rpm, reasonable level

that's with pacemaker headers, twin 2 1/4" system twin cats, twin mufflers no resi's

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Good luck with getting it to sound good everywhere in the rev range.

1. Fitting a hotdog will reduce the drone, but it won't eliminate it. Nothing will apart from fitting a standard system.

2. All 2 1/2" singles with the same configuration will sound similar, you could try changing the centre muffler to a chambered glass packed muffler and fit the hotdog.

3. Supercat systems tend to be louder than Redback. Some people like the sound of Lukey systems, but exhaust note is all subjective.

I'd be happy enough if the drone was reduced significantly.

The car may see a manual conversion in future and will get headers to suit manual, which don't drone at all apparently.

Would a supercat system drone worse than a redback as its louder, and would it be EPA friendly?

Twin systems tend to drone less at cruising speeds. Mines really strange.

1000-1400rpm, loud burble/rumble - eg going 50km/h in drive (tcc on), moving to 3rd shifts down a gear increases rpm and makes it quiet.
1500-2200rpm, completely silent - most cruising speeds.
2300-3200rpm, really bloody loud
4000+rpm, reasonable level

that's with pacemaker headers, twin 2 1/4" system twin cats, twin mufflers no resi's

Yeah smaller pipes will drone a bit less, but i havent seen any off the shelf twin systems for a VN-VR

And i think the Ecotecs drone a bit less than the Buick 3800. They definitely do sound better though.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive got a single cheapo sports system with no rear muffler on my V6 ecotec,and it used to get a drone up at certain revs,but after I fitted pacemaker extractors,I found that it pretty much stopped the drone enough so its not as annoying any more.Ive also found that while mucking around with different memcal tunes,that I get a slightly different exhaust note when I run a lot of ignition advance.It makes it sound different,somewhat deeper,it sounds better.

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 (vz monaro themed)
I could be very wrong here,

Maybe a standard V8 cat back exhaust may fit?!? I wouldn't know if it lines up with the V6 system. Might be worth looking into as it would be larger piping but not over the top and id imagine you could find it cheap.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Standard V8 and V6 systems are the same......

(Factory systems had a different rear muffler but all aftermarket ones are the same)

jonboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s2 v6
hi
i have an ecotec with 2.5 cat bac exhaust with a flowmaster single in twin out rear muffler, standard centre muffler and cat.
it has the most shocking drone at 95-100 kph
im considering moving the flowmaster muffler to the centre and running twin 2 and qurter pipes over the diff and fitting to resonaters (cobies) at the rear.
do you reckon this will decreas the drone or just make it worse???

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
3. Some people like the sound of Lukey systems, but exhaust note is all subjective.

+1 i had a lukey catback system on my VR just 2.5 sports center with straight tailpipe, and it never droned, had a nice bark up top and had that nice burble on idle.