Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommendations for Hydraulic Lifter replacement

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
I recently did a dod delete on my VF, used LS7 lifters and have found that the lifters are as noisy or noisier than the dod crap. Used Penrite GF-5 too. Nothing fancy about LS7 lifters I'm led to believe. Add a large overlap cam and some big pipes= hardly hear any lifter noise.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Does the manual L77 have the DOD lifters? Obviously no AFM available. But are they still likely to fail?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Does the manual L77 have the DOD lifters? Obviously no AFM available. But are they still likely to fail?

I've asked this question numerous times and done lots of searching but never been able to get an answer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I've asked this question numerous times and done lots of searching but never been able to get an answer.
From this web page, the following was stated:

Although the AFM/DOD engine was originally only paired with the Automatic Transmission (from 2008), its also found in the VZ Thunder Utes (L76), and all variants of the VE series 2 & VF Commodores (2010-on) in 6.0L are all fitted with an L77 engine, manual and automatic transmission.

So it seems settled... from 2010 both manuals and autos had DOD lifters, but they would have been deactivated in manual tunes... Whether they fail... everything fails. Asking when is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string :p

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute

The L77 is mechanically exactly the same auto to manual. In manual vehicles there is no provision for wiring to the AFM control solenoid and it's run as a V8 all the time.

The later L77's aren't as common for lifter failures as earlier L76's but it still does happen, particularly more often if the vehicle has been tuned and the rev limiter is increased as the heavier AFM lifters don't like to spin very fast (and the stock valvetrain is prone to valve float). Lifters can and do fail if you're lax on servicing as well as the internal oil passage in the lifters is very fine - if this gets blocked the roller tip of the lifter gets little to no lubrication.

Mine only had about 6,000km on it when the heads were lifted to replace them, an increased rev limit I think was the end of mine. I put a set of LS7 lifters in (all of the non AFM lifters supersede to the LS7 set when I checked in the Holden parts catalogue at the time) I got through the Holden spare part chain and an L98/LS3 valley plate with an aftermarket cam. I've done nearly 20,000km with the cam in and AFM delete with no issues, but I do change the engine oil every ~5,000km (which for me is yearly as I don't drive much in the way of distance).

David LS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
G’day all,

Currently live in central brissy and I’m staring down the barrel of having to pay to have the lifters replaced (and whatever else shows up) on my MY 16 VF2 SSV Redline. Holden have offered up a quote of $3900-$4800.

Anybody have recommendations on a local mechanic that’s trusted to do the job and if anyone else has done it, what you ended up paying?
I've had lifters replaced three times by a Holden dealer with no confidence this latest set will be the fix. Depending on the K's I'd be hitting up Holden via the dealer to get them replaced free of charge. Holden know they have a problem here.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Elwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SSV Redline
Thanks all for the suggestions around the lifters and some options, appreciate all the help.