Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Enclosure Dimentions

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Just wondering if anyone has some good info on building a custom ported enclosure for the gear listed below.

- 2x Clarion WG3020 12" Single 4 Ohm WG Series Car Subwoofer
- Option Audio OAK600, 600WRMS at 2OHM load

1. Recommended volume for 1 sub is 1.50cu. ft ported. Does that mean with 2 subs I would double the volume to 3.0cu. ft?

2. Should I section off each sub or should I leave it hollow (2 subs share total volume). As the subs are 4ohm and wired at a 2ohm load I may need to run wires outside the box instead of inside.

3. Looking for a tune of about 34Hz, what size/shape port is best for this? 2 smaller circular ports or 1 larger rectangle port and what diameter/length?

4. Is 19mm MDF suitable?

Ultimately if someone already has a good diagram of a enclosure that will suit my gear then feel free to send it my way haha

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Measurement between strut towers and max height? Presume its for a commodore?
19mm will be fine. Seperate the drivers and have two slot ports. Thats my preference.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Measurement between strut towers and max height? Presume its for a commodore?
19mm will be fine. Seperate the drivers and have two slot ports. Thats my preference.

Ill do one with seperate portions. At the moment this is what I have.

Any input?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Where did you get that design? Did you design it yourself and if so, what did you do to come up with it?
That is not seperate portions...thats one box and one port. I'm confused.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Where did you get that design? Did you design it yourself and if so, what did you do to come up with it?
That is not seperate portions...thats one box and one port. I'm confused.

Yea, designed it myself on a program called SketchUp. Yea I did that one and now there is this one with the 2 ports and chambers (if thats is what you would call it)

Those ports would be way to big I am pretty sure. First box should be tuned at 34Hz. Dont even know what the 2nd one is because I ####ed it up so bad.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Ill try my best to explain how I got the dimensions of the second box.

1. Checked the sub recommendation, that was 1.5cu. ft
2. Measured boot space that I would be able to work with, came up with 1 meter x 1 meter.
3. Worked out a decent volume, unported, for 1 sub, about 2.5cu. ft., 19" W, 15" D, 15" H.
4. Created a rectangle box with no ports or sub depth factored in.
5. Calculated a good volume for the box based off the size of the subs (12"), 12x12x12x12=1728, W x H x D=4275divided by1728=2.4cu. ft
6. Compensating for the 19mm thickness of the MDF brings to total volume down to 1.8cu. ft.
7. With the speaker displacement/depth, wood thickness and port diameter/length factored in it was now around 1.468cu. ft
8. Pretty much after that I just duplicated the enclosure I just made but a mirror image, joined them together and wallah.

I may not have the steps correctly done as I have never built a subwoofer box so if anyone can correct me the please go ahead. Also note, that the port width in the photo above is incorrect, it should be 60mm the whole way back. And then it should be roughly 1.5cu. ft and from what I can worked out about 35Hz.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Where are you getting 19mm MDF? I've only seen 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 25 and 32mm.

That's not a lot of port area, have you checked with WinISD or Bassbox Pro to see what the port air velocity will be? Looks like you may get port noise unless those subs don't move much at all.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ports way to small...

I use bass box pro personally... fantastic little program.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Where are you getting 19mm MDF? I've only seen 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 25 and 32mm.

That's not a lot of port area, have you checked with WinISD or Bassbox Pro to see what the port air velocity will be? Looks like you may get port noise unless those subs don't move much at all.

Bunnings dont stock 19mm, but they can get it in. Would you recommend a different mm MDF?

I will have to checkout this BassBox program.

Last edited: