Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended head unit?

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Im going to buy a new head unit on Thursday and I want to know what you all recommend.

I dont want to spend over $300, I want CD MP3, only need one set of pre outs and 4x50W is enough power.

The two things I am really interested in are -
The suspension system - does yours skip much over little bumps?
The MP3 read response time - how long does it take to load an MP3 cd or change tracks?

At the moment Im looking at 3 units:
A Sony - was reduced from $300 to $200 today, I was told they have the best suspension. I'd buy their HUs but not their speakers.

A JVC - $250. The same guy told me that these are the best with MP3s.

A Blaupunkt - $300. Different place, they only got them in today, so they arent on display yet. The only blaupunkt Ive seen working was an older one and it didnt have very good suspension at all.

What should I go for?

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
I have a JVC MP3 H/U and it's great...Mine has never skipped...and seek time is around that of a normal CD...if you have different folders in the CD, the change is not as quick as the changes between songs, but a lot quicker that when you insert a cd...

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
pimpin has hit the nail on the head, that head unit kicks ass it goes hard, my mate had one till it got flogged out of his gemini they just took the unit not the face plate which was sitting under it. work that one out.

or you have a choice of the cheap pioneer mp3 piece of crap deck (sorry if people have that deck i just hate it) i think the price is around 300 just under or over

cheers

scott

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
sif Id buy a Pioneer lol

Nah, they are about $10 cheaper than the JVCs, but I couldnt see anything impressive about them.

I actually had the JVC in mind, it just has an aura about it. What models are you talking about guys?

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i can't remember the model number but i know it was the cheapest mp3 jvc deck on the display board.

cheers

scott

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
This is the one I'm talking about
KD-S895.jpg

It's a JVC KD-S895
I'm assuming that the one you're looking at is a model or two above this one coz I bought this about 8 months or so ago and it was $280 installed then..

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I know my H/U is outta your budget but I can't fault the Alpine. When the cd is first inserted it takes around 4-5secs mx to read then its almost instantaneous to change between tracks and folders..........
Maybe there is a lower spec model in your budget..........
Cheers

S

Stazzy

Yea i got a Pioneer P-5650MP and its an awsome h/u i think theres a model down equivalent have a look at that i dont no bout the sony but i suggest look round at other brrands also

is ur system goin to be massive cos if u r then dont waste money on a mediocre deck now

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
AirStrike said:
I know my H/U is outta your budget but I can't fault the Alpine. When the cd is first inserted it takes around 4-5secs mx to read then its almost instantaneous to change between tracks and folders..........
Maybe there is a lower spec model in your budget..........
Cheers
I have the same head unit as PIMPIN and mine does the exact thing your describing with your alpine.....no more than 5 secs at load and then you can skip through the folders/tracks with ease.

S

Stazzy

probably the best deck 4 ur amount of money is the sonyCDXR3300 this deck has 52w x 4 and is on sale now from scr from $429 to $259
Features:

Motion Blade Receiver CD/MP3 Player
MP3 Playback with ID3Tag
S-MOSFET Output Power 52w x 4
EQ3
New Drive-S Deck

Attachments

• CDXR3300.jpg
    CDXR3300.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,652