Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended head unit?

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Already done the shopping and I settled for a JVC KD-G505. Its all spesh with its flip-down face and all that stuff...All the details.

Now, this thing has a stupid little harness that isnt ISO (see attachment).
What do I do? Should I buy a new VS Com => ISO converter and splice it with the JVC one, or try and get a VS => JVC converter, or a JVC => ISO and a VS => ISO???

I dont know where to get these. Did any of you guys encounter this problem?

PS. I did see a VS => Pioneer converter that looked similar to this at a supercheap. Maybe I should just try a few more supercheap stores. And I bought it at JB, and the guy there told me that 'the professionals have all the tools here when you get them installed' and no, they didnt have any.

Attachments

• harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 275

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
good choice glad you didn't buy no pioneer crap

pay 70 bucks and get who you bought it off to install it, then they will take care of all of that. cause my vk is an monster to try and install h/u's in and getting it looking good instead i am getting the guys at tonkins car audio at modbury to put it in when i get it.

just a suggestion, and i have no idea where you get them from.

cheers

scott

P

paulio

sorry if im too late but i thought id let u know anywyas. my mate has a jvcx head unit paid about the saame price for it and it is CRAP. it overheats and cuts out, it takes forever to read mp3... maybe its a different one to what u guys are talking about but looks very similar to the pic. i agree with airstrike, i have an alpine cda9807, it cost more than ur looking to spend but i cannot fault it it is quick and only skips if i hit potholes the size of my wheel. it never misses a beat.. my mate has a pioneer and swears by it...

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Well its been in there for about 3 days now, its played over all kinds of road, MP3 and CDA and ive heard it skip once, because the CD was scratched. Im a little disappointed with the MP3 read, it takes forever to load the CD info into its memory, it is good afterwards and changes tracks lightning fast, but waiting a minute or two (some CDs wont even load) for my doof is painful. I'll do a few experiments with the size of the CDs and see if finalisation makes a difference because I rarely finalise MP3 CDs.

As for the harness, I bought a VS => ISO then I had to look up the ISO pinouts because only half of the power cables were marked, then I cut it up and soldered the two together. I can unload pics of the dash half apart too if I lose my laziness soon.

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
German Wonders

Audi (supermarket) was selling a MP3 car cd player 4 $169 dollars and it is pretty good I went out and brought it, and it does the job, see if I can get a pic up 4 you guys.

P.S Price means nothing about quailty, you could pay heaps and have it blow up, my mates go out and speed over $400 on there decks and they have all stuffed up, I have had only 2 Car mp3 players and have spent only $369 in total, the only reason I got rid of the $200 one was that it couldn't read the ID3 tags unlike this great Audi one, but if you wana fork out just for a brand name go for it, waste you money ;) hahaha :hit:

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Word. Thats exactly why mine is a mash of all brands. My motto is: Find the cheapest one there is, and then go a model or two up. Usually thats where the best value is.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
you stick to homebrand, i stick to brand names.

cheers

scott

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
soulyouth said:
Audi (supermarket) was selling a MP3 car cd player 4 $169 dollars and it is pretty good...
I think you mean Aldi,
(call me anal, whatever...)

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
it may do everything like that but.

does it have pre-outs?
is it mosfet?
is the sound coming out of it clear?
does it have a remote?
come with warranty?

i feel alot safer that if a deck i bought from tonkins car audio blows up it will go back under warranty without a hassle.

cheers

scott

V

VL CALO

u should of just kept the stock unit it would be a better sounding unit than homebrand.
those kinds of things belong in ford lasers. All cheap things are good for about a month then you wish you bought something else.

cheers

Anthony