Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

recommended mods for my 1995 VS caprice 304

xxpinguxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS caprice 5.0 V8
i would like some advice on some mods for my car i dont wanna go overboard like supercharger an that(yet) i would like to go for natural aspirated sort of mods so yea any ideas

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you don't want to spend too much a full exhaust with Tri Y headers and a decent cat back (single 3" or twin 2.5") would wake it up a lot.

A tune would be good too, Joe at Ace Performance does some good mail order tunes (NEVER buy an ebay tune).

If you wanted to go the next level a cam would be the best way to get more power out of it.

xxpinguxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS caprice 5.0 V8
If you don't want to spend too much a full exhaust with Tri Y headers and a decent cat back (single 3" or twin 2.5") would wake it up a lot.

A tune would be good too, Joe at Ace Performance does some good mail order tunes (NEVER buy an ebay tune).

If you wanted to go the next level a cam would be the best way to get more power out of it.
i all ready have the 2.5 cat back with a high flow cat how much for the rest of the gear give or take

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
As said full exhaust, is alot different to just cat back. Using your current cat back and cat is a compromise compared to twin cats and a single 3" or twin 2.5". but can use with extractors ,like pacemakers (around 700 + more for ceramic coating + more if someone else is fitting).
Joe's mail order tunes start at about 200 I think .
Small cam package ( cam , collets, seals , springs, lifters, push rods and lube ) around 800 to 900. Roller rockers about 600 to 700 .
You'd also need gaskets, should do double row timing chain , harmonic balancer, run in oil , plugs , leads .
You'd also check condition of coil , dizzy , water pump, if these items are original or been on for along time sometimes easier to do it all at once instead of sometimes doing one of them 2 months later if your unlucky and it fails.
To get it dyno and road tuned at least 800+.
If auto will need stall converter if anything other than very small cam but you can't go too / very big as you'll need alot more supporting mods like higher compression .
I'd also get a cai like the hsv/ later ss one or a mace one .
Could get a 70mm throttle body. While manifold is off could get it extruded honed.
Other mods , for auto , shift kitted and second gear corvette servo cylinder, diff gears.
Those prices are ruff new figures, might be able to save shopping around or waiting for someones unwanted parts.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Out of everything i have done to my SS, i reckon reworking the centre section of exhaust from shitty Ypipe to equal length 2.5 thick wall pipe was my best bang for buck.