Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Oil for Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Most people use the recommended 20W-50 oil in the VS V6 Ecotec engine and looking at some old threads which date back a few years it seems common. Just wondering if there are any semi-synthetic oils that people use? What other types of oil are people using?
I use Castrol GTX 20W-50 which is a mineral oil.
There is also Penrite 20W-60. Has anybody used this?
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Why wouldn't you use a better, fully synthetic oil?

Price & engine age. For a VS Ecotec, Any of the good quality brands 20W50 or 20W60 oils will be fine. There will be many different opinions of which is best, but at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice. I've use penrith and nulon in the past and found them to be good.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
GTX is the bottom of the barrel. probably still within the holden spec, but remember that spec was written more than 15 years ago.
If you like castrol and want something better try EDGE 20W50. You won't notice much difference, but its whats inside that counts, and will clean better. Any SM-CF oil will be better than GTX.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
how goods the semi sythetic gulf western oil? i see repco now sell it and atm its only 19.99 intro offer, but yeh i guess u get what u pyay for? ived used gulf western before and it was fine but never used teh synthetic ones?

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
@seq4x4 What type of Penrite oil did you use? Was it semi-synthetic?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I use 10w 30, Is that why it slowly burns oil? it has also just cracked 200,000ks and was drivin by a sensible driver and serviced regularly ( inside the filler cap it yellow, NOT BLACK!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.