Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Oil for Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I just did my oil and filter, Fuchs 15W40 and Acdelco AC018 filter. I feel like such a nerd using GM stuff lol well thats what our work shop stocks.

Andreas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS III V6 ute
I use Liqui Moly 5W-30 and the Liqui Moly engine flush. Still have some lifter noise every now and then.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I use Nulon Street/Track 25W-70.....nice and thick just the way the ecotecs like it :p

Great oil, for high milage cars

I have tried all the synthetics and fuel savers but this seems to be the oil mine is happiest/quietest with

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
I'd recommend staying away from Ryco oil filters. A while back I fit a Ryco filter on my VY ecotec with Nulon 20-40 and got a noticeable increase in lifter noise.

Changed to a GM oil filter and it was a lot quieter, never looked back. A few people on here reported the same sorta thing, and a few guys said that Ryco started to manufacture the filters in Indonesia or something, after that the quality of the product dropped.

In fact I think someone cut one open and found that the way the material in the Ryco was sitting was piss poor and restricted oil flow, which in effect decreased oil pressure and caused the lifter noises.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
I'd recommend staying away from Ryco oil filters. A while back I fit a Ryco filter on my VY ecotec with Nulon 20-40 and got a noticeable increase in lifter noise.

Changed to a GM oil filter and it was a lot quieter, never looked back. A few people on here reported the same sorta thing, and a few guys said that Ryco started to manufacture the filters in Indonesia or something, after that the quality of the product dropped.

In fact I think someone cut one open and found that the way the material in the Ryco was sitting was piss poor and restricted oil flow, which in effect decreased oil pressure and caused the lifter noises.

mines starting to get its annoying tick back again probably cause i've got some **** shell stuff in atm to flush the gunk out from the head gasket change. might grab a gm filter and put my penrite back in it. penrite doesn't go black as quickly as shell/castrol i've done 3thou km's and the shell oil is filthy black.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Nothing wrong really with the oil turning black, thats what its suppose to do. It just means the detergents in the oil are cleaning the crap out of your engine. Its when it goes thick and gooey you have problems.

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
I just put in Valvoline Maxlife 20W-50 before I put that in used penrite same grade but made heaps of lifter noise haven't had any with Valvoline

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Mine gets 0w 40. The1s reccommendations. Actually quieten down a bit compared to the 20w 50 Iused to use. Wierd but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.