Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Stereo

Infest

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 16 year old guy, with a bit (not very much) money to spend. I have a Series 2 95 Model VR Acclaim..

I was just wondering if someone could recommend me a rather good stereo that includes 2 subs, 2 amps and a head unit. With individual pricings if possible. I would probably be looking not to spend anything over $500. If this is an unreasonable figure, just give me a price for the 2 amps and 2 subs as I will be able to get a headunit off the oldies..

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

EDIT: It would be good if the subs were in a box, to slide straight into the boot..

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
good luck on a $500 budget.

for a decent headunit 2 subs and 2 amps you should be looking at probably $1000 minimum for something decent... i will have a look around see what youc an get for as cheap as possible...

are you going to use the stock speakers in the car or do you have speakers already, if so what are there specs.

Infest

Reaction score
good luck on a $500 budget.

for a decent headunit 2 subs and 2 amps you should be looking at probably $1000 minimum for something decent... i will have a look around see what youc an get for as cheap as possible...

are you going to use the stock speakers in the car or do you have speakers already, if so what are there specs.

As I was saying in the post above, the headunit isn't a necessity. I'm just looking for 2 subs (in a box) and 2 amps to run the subs and headunit (I think that's how it goes)

The subs, say on sale, from Repco or Strathfield Car Sound would be about $250-$300 which leaves $100-$150 for each amp..

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Also, off topic: How much are neons? I'm looking to buy some 30cm ones, I'm going to go price them from Supercheap and stuff this afternoon.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
look for second hand 2x12 subs already in enclosure... try the trading section here or car audio australia or something. I know of a few people that kept their ears up and got a few bargains. As for amps, look at jaycars range or if u manage to come across some extra $$ maybe soundstream or something (sorry im partial to them :D)

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
dude you pay 500 for a hu and rears. i am running 2006 hu focal splits pioneer 6x9s and 2 12" kenwood subs with just one amp and the system cost me over a grand. just concentrate on interior speakers if you can get hu off ur olds use the 500 to buy rears and good splits and possibly small 4 channel if you really want one. my speakers arnt ampped and there fine, im just running them off the 2006 pioneer hu

nvs_sle

Selling 20's and Stereo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Caprice
hey man, if u wanna also get more for your budget, you dont really need 2 subs, if u get 1 decent one, and build or get a box suited to it u will get realy good punchy bass, and can also still get your amp, and another thing, the jaycar stuff is always getting better, and it is really well priced! if u look around for a while u may be able to get a sub amp, n a couple of speakers.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i agree, get one sub, you'll be saving a heap of money for what probably wont be a huge loss.

You could either get a 2nd hand sub already boxed, then buy an amp, or buy new. Have a look at the for sale section in www.caraudioaustralia.com.au forums, theres almost always a cheap sub for sale there.

New, have a look at jaycar response amps, pretty decent and cheap too

Infest

Reaction score
Ok, will do. I was looking at 2 12" MTX subs for $350 boxed.

Was that a good deal?

I think I'm going to buy new though.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'll say it aswell... Stick to one sub. You don't have the budget to get two decent subs. Spend the money on a good 12" sub rather than 2 cheap 12" subs.