Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey all,

New to the world of commodores, as well as high powered vehicles (I bought VF SS with a few minor mods and a sports tune), and am nearing the point of requiring my first new set of tyres. I haven't got a fortune to spend, but I'm not stupid enough to go for re-treads, and I haven't got "stockies" on the back to just lay rubber on the road. I have 245/45R18 100W on the front and back, so all the quotes are per tyre for both ends.

I'm looking for opinions on what a decent, but an affordable, set of performance tyres would be for the car. I've gone for a wide spread of quotes and generally coming up with the same suggestions and quotes:
- Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 100V $279 (but specially ordered on availability)
- Michelin pilot sport 4 $245 to $260 each
- Toyo C100 $215 (limited time offer)
- Pirelli Dragon Sport $199 each
- Nitto Invo for $179

Wheel alignments are also quoted at between $50 - $100 between each place, but I wouldn't pay anything more than $70 at absolute most (and even that seems like a stretch).

Let me know if I'm being misled or for those who know about the world of tyres and rubber, what the best option for a car like mine would be.

Many thanks for the help

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Do a search. This was covered. Lots of people here like Michellin

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've been running the Pirelli Dragon Sport (245/35/20) for 16 months and ~30k kms.

Good grip wet or dry and not what I would consider noisy.

As @Ron Burgundy says, plenty on here are big fans of the Michelins.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
I've been running the Pirelli Dragon Sport (245/35/20) for 16 months and ~30k kms.

Good grip wet or dry and not what I would consider noisy.

As @Ron Burgundy says, plenty on here are big fans of the Michelins.

Thanks mate. I really can’t overstate how new I am to the world of decent cars. I used to run everything on the cheapest option available because they were worth more than the car. This is first decent thing I’ve owned in my life so I want to make the right choice.

I had a look through the VF forums but found more rim discussions than just tyre suggestions. I don’t want to go off sellers pages (direct producers or outlets, etc.) because they’re biased.

I prefer the opinions of people like you two on the forums who give an honest opinion.
If it’s already on here too just point me to the thread and I’ll do my reading.

many thanks

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Note that a Michelin Pilot Sport 4 isn’t the same as a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
The 4S is possibly out of the price range, but in it’s price range it scores extremely well. The 4 is probably a bit overpriced, and you can do better for that money.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
I've been quoted for both, just more quotes for the 4. Alo when you mention better options for that price, I assume something along the lines of the Pirelli Dragonsport? When we say 4S is better is it worth the extra money?

Let me know if I'm way off here

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've been quoted for both, just more quotes for the 4. Alo when you mention better options for that price, I assume something along the lines of the Pirelli Dragonsport? When we say 4S is better is it worth the extra money?

Let me know if I'm way off here
The PS4 is a very good tyre. The 4S is even better. But of those you've quoted above, I'd go for the PS4. I am not a fan of the B 050's. Overpriced and overated in my view. I've had enough of them on new Commodore's and everything I've replaced them with has performed better. Including Bridgestone 003's. Far more grip and better turn in than 050's. They did wear more quickly than the 050's. But I'm harsh on tyres.
I haven't tried the Nitto's, but read good things. Same for Pirelli Dragons.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If it’s already on here too just point me to the thread and I’ll do my reading.

Have a play with the search function and you should get plenty of results.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It’s VERY hard to say whether the Pilot Sport 4S is worth the extra over a 4 ... in my case it is, because my wife is the main driver & an extra ~$300 every 5 years or so is worth it for the “insurance” in an emergency braking or swerving situation. But the chances of actually needing that extra performance aren’t exactly high.

Go the search function for better alternatives to the 4; I can’t recall what they are. :)