Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I know people dont usually like to talk about cheaper tyres but ive always used achilles atr sport2,just paid $139 for my 245/35/20 for my wagon,punch well above their weight class for what you pay and handle the power in my mildly modded 6.0 quite easily.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Only interesting if you’re in the UK.
Unless you have inside information that says some/all of those products are the same Down Under?
Considering the amount of time, expertise and resources that tyre companies expend in the development of tyres, I can't understand why they would want to produce two different tyres, each with the same name, with one being better than the other. I am thinking of putting a set of Pilot sport 4's on my VF SSV next, so as a matter of interest, and because I have too much time on my hands with this bloody lockdown, I have asked Michelin to advise whether the Pilot Sport sold in Europe is the same tyre as the one sold here. I will let you know when I receive a reply

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Considering the amount of time, expertise and resources that tyre companies expend in the development of tyres, I can't understand why they would want to produce two different tyres, each with the same name, with one being better than the other. I am thinking of putting a set of Pilot sport 4's on my VF SSV next, so as a matter of interest, and because I have too much time on my hands with this bloody lockdown, I have asked Michelin to advise whether the Pilot Sport sold in Europe is the same tyre as the one sold here. I will let you know when I receive a reply
Sounds good Merv, keep us posted

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
I can't understand why they would want to produce two different tyres, each with the same name, with one being better than the other.
different factories
im also pretty sure ive read they alter compounds for different countries for average temps, road constructions etc

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
different factories
im also pretty sure ive read they alter compounds for different countries for average temps, road constructions etc

I wouldn't have thought so, we make roads just the same way they do. We use the same formula to mix and lay the asphalt, so why would they change them?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Only interesting if you’re in the UK.
Unless you have inside information that says some/all of those products are the same Down Under?

Autobild is a German publication.

I have no doubt that tyre manufacturers have slightly different specs for different countries and that constituent properties might vary slightly
But all tyres are imported to Australia? (I recall speaking to the recycling trade body at an event recently), so I would imagine that the blend is homogenised a lot to avoid stocking and production inefficiencies.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I wouldn't have thought so, we make roads just the same way they do. We use the same formula to mix and lay the asphalt, so why would they change them?

It's been said forever there are slight differences in tyre properties from country to country, whether it's true or not I don't know.

One thing I see as a great advantage for us is Australia uses all weather tyres where many countries in the northern hemisphere fit seasonal tyres because of the extreme cold/snow and have to swap them at the end of winter and summer which I think is a pain in the neck.

I've also read that tyre reviews from one country doesn't necessarily applied to another but I look at it this way, if it's a high end performance tyre and there are some differences then those differences probably don't have much of a real world impact.

I'm more concerned about the reviews themselves as in Australia it is known that the tyre companies wine and dine and give free track days to the reviewers and in my books that means a compromised review.

Sometimes the only impartial review you can find is from an overseas source and that is at least as good if not better then some of the bias you read in Aussie magazine reviews.

Still no matter where the reviews comes from it's better to note which tyres constantly make the "best of' lists regardless of their order on the list and gravitate towards them.

A tyre like the PS4 S will make those lists time and again which says to me it's a good tyre but it's not the only one.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Sometimes the only impartial review you can find is from an overseas source and that is at least as good if not better then some of the bias you read in Aussie magazine reviews.

Still no matter where the reviews comes from it's better to note which tyres constantly make the "best of' lists regardless of their order on the list and gravitate towards them.

To be honest I'm always suspicious of any tyre test. They are always hosted by one of the biggies, which it needs to be to get the facilities for wet weather testing. Somehow the host company always does well... funny that. Bias, sponsorship, or just a tyre that is good at that track, as it was developed there??

My car mag of choice (Evo UK) do on each year. Last summer was at a Pirelli track and the P Zero won...
Seems like most people gravitate to the usual suspects, and most probably aren't driving at the limit anyway so the fine differences don't really matter.