Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Have you still got the Redline? I have the 270 speed rating on my fronts now. I don't get that speed up so shouldn't be a problem. The W's on the front have a different tread pattern (slightly) and seem to have more rubber on the road.
no this is for my parents redline. I dont like the aggressive look of the pattern on the edges of the tyre, but the tyre shop says they are way better than the RE050A, even though the bridgestone website says RE050A and not RE003

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
I personally prefer RE003 to RE050A, i switched to them on the rears on my redline.
they have a higher tread wear rating so should technically last longer, yet they seem to stick better, but they arent quite as square as the 50As

the S007s also interest me, i had the S002s on my VE, and they were much better than the RE050A

generally speaking i dont see what the rave is with RE050A.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I personally prefer RE003 to RE050A, i switched to them on the rears on my redline.
they have a higher tread wear rating so should technically last longer, yet they seem to stick better, but they arent quite as square as the 50As

the S007s also interest me, i had the S002s on my VE, and they were much better than the RE050A

generally speaking i dont see what the rave is with RE050A.
Agreed the 003 is a great tyre and surprised me how long they last, just need them on special. Last time local Bridgestone couldn't get RE050s in so offered me 003 at same price

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Im wanting to put on the original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A on the redline 245/40R19 98 Y, but the shop is recommend me I go the Potenza RE003 245/40R19 98 W which has a different speed rating 270vs300. Any had RE003 fitted and happy?
I have the RE003 on my ve,vh and at the moment on the rear of my vs, when the fronts wear out I will put them on the front. Like you I previously had RE050A on my VE. The RE003 is a fantastic tyre and would I use them again. I can't comment on wear as I haven't done the k's to have an opinion. The RE050A is in my opinion a very good tyre that handles well, I got about 60,000 out of the rears and a lesser amount on the fronts. I have never had a tyre that lasted that long, usually half of that amount. I believe that having the tyre pressure at 45 lb contributes to better handling and wear, I have been doing this for a long time (over 35 years).

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Goodyear Eagle F1s for me. Not sure what they are priced like outside NZ but they are cheaper than 003s etc. I got buy 3 get 1 free deal. Wide footprint, nice rim protection, low noise and great grip. I run 12.7et on factory size 245 40 19s. I worked for Bridgestone and bro in law still does... we both think they are overpriced and over rated despite the legendary history and following. So many more well priced performance tyres around. Check online reviews.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Goodyear Eagle F1s for me. Not sure what they are priced like outside NZ but they are cheaper than 003s etc. I got buy 3 get 1 free deal. Wide footprint, nice rim protection, low noise and great grip. I run 12.7et on factory size 245 40 19s. I worked for Bridgestone and bro in law still does... we both think they are overpriced and over rated despite the legendary history and following. So many more well priced performance tyres around. Check online reviews.

Goodyear F1's are good when new.....Start putting some kays on them and get feathering on the edges and your talk about noise will change real quick

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Goodyear F1's are good when new.....Start putting some kays on them and get feathering on the edges and your talk about noise will change real quick
Fair call, however I've yet to discover a directional or tyre that is not "loud" after 50% wear. I generally do a max of 8-10k per year, the F1s have done about that with no edge wear or loss of brand stamp on tread yet. So if I get another year or two and they get loud I'm happy to replace them. Sounds like a tyre pressure issue or wheel alignment topic if your getting edge wear that creates tyre noise more than any other brand.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Fair call, however I've yet to discover a directional or tyre that is not "loud" after 50% wear. I generally do a max of 8-10k per year, the F1s have done about that with no edge wear or loss of brand stamp on tread yet. So if I get another year or two and they get loud I'm happy to replace them. Sounds like a tyre pressure issue or wheel alignment topic if your getting edge wear that creates tyre noise more than any other brand.

Having them on the front, edge wear on both edges always occurs.....Comes from the weight being transferred onto the edges under cornering conditions, no matter what brand used

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Having them on the front, edge wear on both edges always occurs.....Comes from the weight being transferred onto the edges under cornering conditions, no matter what brand used

Is that not why you rotate front to rear when edge wear occurs? I'll leave you to decide. But appreciate the input. I'm a trade technician and auto trade tutor by the way.