Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recon power steering rack

phonixdday

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS 5.7 UTE
has anyone rebuilt a power steering rack on a vu before? same as vx and vt. iv got her in pieces. iv got the recon kit, i cant pull the shaft out, iv got it to the point where i can see the bearing in it but cant pull it out, there must be a pin or something, i am not sure if i have to seperate the cast iron outside or what?! going insane!

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
I am doing the same thing at the moment. The end plastic cap has been removed. I can see the seal which is stopping the shaft from coming out of the housing at the piston (through one of the hydraulic feeding inlet port). However, I cannot see any access point to remove the seal and to free the shaft. This thread was posted in 2009 without response. Not sure anybody can help with this issue.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
If the seal is not serviceable, it can be drilled a couple of holes through and pulled out. Not sure this will do the trick.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The attached may help you - from the Holden Factory VT/VX Service Manual:

Attachments

• VT Steering Rack 1 of 4.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • VT Steering Rack 2 of 4.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • VT Steering Rack 3 of 4.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • VT Steering Rack 4 of 4.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 68

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
Hi BlackVxGTS,
Many thanks for the factory manual regarding the power steering rack disassembly. I have tried to knock the seal out at the passenger side a few times without success. I was conservative as I was a bit worried about the strength of the piston. Looks like a much greater pressure is required to force out the seal. Thanks again.