Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reconditioned VN 3800 - recommendations

JBAV6Tony

Reaction score
Members Ride
JBA kit car V6 series 1
Hi again,
In the next 12 months we might be looking at another v6 engine in our kitcar. As always depends on things like selling our house.

The builder of this lovely car in 2001 put a "reconditioned" engine in it in Perth. Since then its done around 80,000kms. But, it consumes oil around one litre every 1500kms, less so when not towing our caravan.

I'm 63yo and like my engines to be in great condition without leaks etc. I like total reconditioning including new pistons, injectors etc. Many of the parts like coil, water pump and sensors have recently been replaced.

As I said I tow our caravan 1000kg loaded. My revs when touring in 4th gear at 90kph is around 2200rpm. I rarely rev past 3200rpm if ever so I dont desire a high revving engine. What are your thoughts?
  • cam regrind for lower rev torque?
  • are there different quality pistons around?
  • computer stuff?
Thanks Tony
  • Heads?

Attachments

• gooram falls.jpg
    gooram falls.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 20190201_121434_resized_1.jpg
    20190201_121434_resized_1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20160801_221613.jpg
    IMG_20160801_221613.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 228

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Personally, I'd do dry and wet compression tests to try and get an idea of the condition of the pistons and block. At 80,000km you might have just leaking valve guides/seals. Rebuilding an engine is not cheap- work out estimates of the costs of the components and machining before you start. I use a bloke in Williamstown for my engine machining- good machining shops are hard to find.
It might be cheaper to get a good engine from a wrecker- which will leave you with a spare engine for parts- no problem if you have somewhere to store it.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
That's dedication to the cause! Selling the house to reco a commie motor!

JBAV6Tony

Reaction score
Members Ride
JBA kit car V6 series 1
Thanks guys. Yep,good engine used might be a good idea. Not urgent so will casually look around. The compression test is a great idea

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's a lot of oil usage. Has it been like that since the rebuild?

Maybe the rings didn't seat properly? If so a hone and set of rings should fix it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
80k out of a recondition engine, you been had, what did they do to call it recondition? slap in some rings without honing out the cylinders. Sounds like a second-hand not reco.
Depending what the insides look like it may just need a few minor things, Are the plugs black? If so valves if not just get the cylinders honed out and get over size piston and rings, do the tappers need doing like are they noisy? No use throwing the works at it if you don't have too.
Oil not going into your radiator is it? How much is leaking on the outside on the ground?
Better off buying a second-hand one and just rebuild it on the side or buy another reco.