Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red 202 issues

SweetWagon

booosted
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
32
Location
Springwood NSW
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi, my brother has a range of problems on the 202 in his HQ ute, As stated these problems are very in-consistant and I have listed them below.

1. Backfires when decelerating
2. When turning ignition off the motor runs on extremely rough for approx 5-20 seconds, then sprays atomised fuel through air cleaner.
3. Stalls when decelerating, stalling in general.
4. Very slugish after backfiring.
5. Last 3 weeks has had flucuating water temperatures.

Please Note:

1. problems are only intermittently occuring
2. Definately not timing.
3. carby has been recently rebuilt 3 months ago. (temporarily fixed some off these problems.)
4. Has electronic ignition (VH blue)
5. Has stuffed Harmonic Balancer.

Thankyou
 

yobbo88

Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
210
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Age
33
Location
the shire sydney
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
carbon build up on pistons... put some decarb stuff in tank carby cleaner spray down the head of the carby or looking at your problems its probably bad so maybe have to get down to the head and physically clean them by hand. im mainly going by the pre-ignition symptom (When turning ignition off the motor runs on extremely rough for approx 5-20 seconds) but that would be where i'd start
 

SweetWagon

booosted
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
32
Location
Springwood NSW
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
yobbo88 said:
carbon build up on pistons... put some decarb stuff in tank carby cleaner spray down the head of the carby or looking at your problems its probably bad so maybe have to get down to the head and physically clean them by hand. im mainly going by the pre-ignition symptom (When turning ignition off the motor runs on extremely rough for approx 5-20 seconds) but that would be where i'd start
Thanks mate, A carbon build-up/hot spot and valve wear are all suspected. He is currently rebuilding another 202 with all the goodies, but in the mean time it would still be ideal to keep it running good. It's going to the mechanics next week and see what we can do so thanks for your input.
I Might even post it up later, it has the monaro paintjob and lowered and soon to get twin 4" stacks behind cabin.
 

yobbo88

Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
210
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Age
33
Location
the shire sydney
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
if it looks sweet its gotta run sweet! get the beast fixed get it to the mechanics. but if your brother is building an engine he should be able to get the head off this one and scrape off the carbon? 202's are a piece of piss to break down id try that first... you have to know mechanics love to make money thats why im training to be one :thumbsup:
 

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
Mt Gambier SA
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Backfiring while decelerating can be caused from a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. If the harmonic balancer is stuffed the outer bit can slip around which will change your timing mark, so if you time it to the mark on the balancer it could be wrong.
 

SweetWagon

booosted
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
32
Location
Springwood NSW
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Tree cutter said:
Backfiring while decelerating can be caused from a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. If the harmonic balancer is stuffed the outer bit can slip around which will change your timing mark, so if you time it to the mark on the balancer it could be wrong.
How does the harmonic balancer affect timing?? I will post it up sometime this week after he gets the exhaust done.
 

SweetWagon

booosted
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Age
32
Location
Springwood NSW
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
UPDATE: Motor shat itself, dropped number five cylinder and all the backfiring broke the extractors.

Anyway we got hold of a reco 202 with all running gear, new extractors and reco trimatic for $400 picking it up tomorrow and $200 to fit it the day after.
 

Dose Pipe

New Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
334
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
vn6pwr said:
How does the harmonic balancer affect timing?? I will post it up sometime this week after he gets the exhaust done.
If then outer ring on the harmonic balancer has spun the timing mark will move so if you do the timing to say 10 degrees it could be 30 as the mark is not in the correct position
 
Top