Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RED/BLUE LED Dash, HSV Body Kit

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon Executive V6
Just wanted to show you guys what I've just finished doing on my car, wanted to know what you guys think.

Keep in mind, I havent completely finished painting the kit, and there's still a few minor adjustments need to be done.

Considering its a work car, Im also converting it to gas very soon (Throught a mechanic)

:dance:

The dash LED conversion, took me a good 12 hours, and I've managed to separate arrows with the rest with red and blue LEDs

Kits t

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 627
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 538
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 1,520
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    423.6 KB · Views: 585
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 3,558
Last edited:

Miss-E

VTCOM6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I love how you made things red! We tried that but couldnt get it to work :( Mines all blue.
The guy at motoquipt suggested we paint them, might try that next time we take the speedo out.

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, its a little tricky, the red LEDs have to be "melted" into the plastic see through piece, infront of the little prisms, which reflect the light upwards, that was it directs all the light towards the arrow

then you also have to scratch some of the paint off, around the holes where the arroes are, so more light comes through....

The picture doesnt show very well, but arrows are very bright, and the fuel picture and temperature picture light up pink, because that's where I've "melted" the LED in

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
how did u melt the LEDs in there?? and did u just melt a 3mm LED into it??? uno those lil tabs on the plastic part that fold inwards r those ment 4 the needles so they light up??

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
well you have to "MELT" a little square (big enough for a 3mm LED) infrtont of the prism, (Those little squares) then run your soldering iron along the part which faces the prism, to make sure its see through, as much as it can be. Wait 30 secs for the plastic to cool down. Break down the exsess plastic to make it all neat.

Then bend the led legs like chicken legs, then down towards the back of the closter, for later wiring, then MELT the legs into the plastic, and make sure the LED faces the prisms.

That way all the light gets directed at the arrows.

NO NEED TO FILE DOWN THE LED, AS U NEED AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET

BTW, a good tip, for the LEDs to put on the ODOmeter and such (blue in my case), if you file half a LED off, with a nail filer even, the light spreads a lot better, that way you dont get those bright spots.

Just a TIP :)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
RUS-14N said:
well you have to "MELT" a little square (big enough for a 3mm LED) infrtont of the prism, (Those little squares) then run your soldering iron along the part which faces the prism, to make sure its see through, as much as it can be. Wait 30 secs for the plastic to cool down. Break down the exsess plastic to make it all neat.

Then bend the led legs like chicken legs, then down towards the back of the closter, for later wiring, then MELT the legs into the plastic, and make sure the LED faces the prisms.

That way all the light gets directed at the arrows.

NO NEED TO FILE DOWN THE LED, AS U NEED AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET

BTW, a good tip, for the LEDs to put on the ODOmeter and such (blue in my case), if you file half a LED off, with a nail filer even, the light spreads a lot better, that way you dont get those bright spots.

Just a TIP :)

yer i file all my LEDs like a dimond head like wat u did i just finished my cluster gonna test it out 2moz after work n make sure everything works tho wen ive tested the light i dun rekon the needles will light up enough so i think i mite try do wat u did. u dont happen 2 have a pic of wat u did wen u melted the LEDs do ya i think i know wat u mean those lil squares that r around where the needle sits in place yeah???

Miss-E

VTCOM6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
wrx 884 - to test the lighting not in the car try

12v power supply
pin5 =12v+
pin4 = 12v-

That makes it light up the same as it would in the car :)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
Miss-E said:
wrx 884 - to test the lighting not in the car try

12v power supply
pin5 =12v+
pin4 = 12v-

That makes it light up the same as it would in the car :)

yer i use a car battery 2 test em but i wanna make sure all the needles work n all the other lights work coz ive pretty much finished ay. did use leave some of the old globes in eg. indicators, park brake, engine light ect....???

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah I left the old globes in...they're all red...except for cruise...but I dont mind it green

ALso indicatore r easy to change...I put white in mine, so it turns out aqua green through the paint

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you guys think this looks better?

Attachments

• P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 903