Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red Light Camera fine

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Ok , first things first, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY.
Last night I drove through a red light. I noticed this once I was in the intersection that the light was red, so there is a chance that it was amber before i entered.
Just wondering, I am on my green P's, what is the fine and/or demerit points for this offence.

Do not flame me, I 100% know that this was very wrong of me, so much so that I pulled over shortly after to regather myself because I felt like an asshole. I do not need to go into details as to why I got myself into this situation, as i know already and am taking full responsibility for what I did..

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Not sure but i'd imagine at a minimum 1 point and around a $200 fine??

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
You should be fine mate, i think they allow 10 - 30 seconds after the red light has changed to red before a camera takes a pic as big truck drivers like to go throw amber at the very last second. Not sure on the points or how much the fine will be IF you do get one. Don't hold this to me though as i' am only telling you what i have been told afew times before. Maybe in future break on Amber lol.

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
LOL surely thats a typo, 10-30 seconds allowance?

But yeah, I do hope your right, Pennant Hills Road has a shitload of trucks on it haha

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Front wheels have to be over the line before the light turns red from what I have been told.
10-30 seconds is far too long. Half the lights I stop at are only red for 30 seconds anyway.
I think the fine is around $260 and maybe 3 points but again, I'm just going from memory when a mate of mine got done

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, red light is three points in most states I think.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
How the cameras work:

As soon as the lights turn red, if there is a vehicle over the line a photo is taken, after a set period of time another shot is taken to see if the vehicle has moved and proceeded into the intersection. There is no time delay, if a vehicle was in the intersection already it doesn't count [so trucks for example and the driver is not fined].

IF a vehicle was in the intersection while the light turned red, then you will be fine [i thought i got done when i didn't notice the amber and went in through amber and it turned red as i was in, didn't see a flash but i was pissed off to say the least, but odly enough my firing down the rifle range was pretty much the same as it normally was LOL].

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
NathG , did you see a flash ? if not you should be OK. and for future reference where is the red light camera on penno road ?

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
Pretty sure it's 3, my mate got 3 for running an amber light :) Funniest ticket I'd ever seen :) . Word of warning if you are arrogant or unpleasant whilst being pulled over you will end up with something similar.

I am also curious as to how the camera's work, I was told it was 'as long as the front of your vehicle is in the intersection before the light goes red.

Half the camera's in Melbourne are probably faulty anyway, always see them firing away at nothing, everything and people who didn't run reds. Dangerous as many people poo pants if they see a flash.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
In NSW, running a red will cost you $324 and 3 points.

The cameras activate 0.3 seconds after the light turns red IIRC.