Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red Vs Black motors

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
VC,
Stupid ratios were also a problem with the M21, which had first and second way too close. I'm pretty certain that 5 speeder was an import and was definitely known as the Philippines box. Can't remember the actual designation. I said MP6, might have been MC6.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VC,
Stupid ratios were also a problem with the M21, which had first and second way too close. I'm pretty certain that 5 speeder was an import and was definitely known as the Philippines box. Can't remember the actual designation. I said MP6, might have been MC6.

The 5 speed was actually made by Borg Warner.....Just checked my workshop manual relating to them. They might have had a nickname but I honestly can't remember...

The MC6 was a 4 speed that was available in the later Commodores....I seem to think it was around the VH, but the memory doesn't stretch that far.....(Could check the 4 speed VH I have here) So mixing up MP6 with MC6 is easily done :) According to the manual it was known as a torquemaster 4 speed....By the looks of the diagram, the gearshift screws into the rear extension housing to select gears, where the M20 and M21's used linkages to select gears.

Please don't think I'm having a dig at you....I'm in the same boat as you....Pressing the memory bank back decades :)....I'm using a Max Ellery workshop manual as a reference to try and help refresh the memory bank....So please don't take offense

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
VC I suspect our wires crossed somewhere. The Torquemaster was the box I was referring to, not the Holden 5 speed. I had one I'd pulled out of a wreck as mentioned and yes, the gearshift was an internal setup. I think I flogged it for about a hundred dollars. It had the right bellhousing to slot straight onto a red motor and it would have been more interesting to drive in the HR than the Traumatic, but in the end, the HR was sold and the box was still laying around.