Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redback Catback over stock exhaust on VX

TikTikTik

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Equipe S2
Basically just a quick question, is it worth swapping the stock exhaust on my VX s2 for the redback 2.5" catback exhaust? This might seem like a stupid question, but at only $200 it doesn't seem like it can be all that different to stock? I'm mainly looking for a better sound, not too worried about performance, although any improvement is just gravy. Also looking at getting a twin tip and looking into what goes into fitting hotdogs.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
If you are just looking to give the car a note (some form of sound) then just go to any exhaust shop and say:

you: I want to get a quote for a 2.5 inch catback exhaust with center muffler and a rear hotdog/resonator on my VX, can you help me?
exhaust guy: sure that's about 280-$300 supplied and fitted. If we don't put the hotdog on the rear then it'll only cost $250
you: What's the difference if the hotdog/resonator is on?
exhaust guy: The hotdog/resonator will stop it from making as much of a drowning sound and makes it a little quiter
you: I'm more looking for just a nice note then it to be loud. Also want to fit a tip on it, can you help me with that?
exhaust guy: We can discuss tips on the day, as for the exhaust, we'd fit the hotdog/resonator on the rear for you for 280-$300. If you don't like the note we can always change it for ya. What day would you like that done mate?
you: Well since I work 3 hour shifts everyday at IGA and am a ninja trained assassin with a pet dragon could 'Fludgegravytrain' by night... probably Wednesday around 3pm?
exhaust guy: No worries at all mate, seeya then.

*note your experience may differ, mainly that whole ninja assassin thing*

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
Redback will be fine. Opt for the center and rear muffler version of it so it doesn't drone. That way u won't pay labour for the exhaust shop to fit the resonator. Should cost around 300 fitted if ur lucky

TikTikTik

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Equipe S2

MRVX2U

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
I bought my redback system like the one your looking at through the Holden dealership I was working at and fitted it myself it's not hard to do.

NVMYVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz clubsport, 6L M6
mate that super cat system would be fine, i'm running a $250 supercat catback system on my vt ss s2, and i love it, couldn't understand why people would spend thousands on an exhaust unless they are "chasing power" or are stupid enough to believe their tuner when he says "more expensive it is the better it is"

in my opinion get the supercat you'll like it

James

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-

Hey Mate,

Thats the Same System i have, I paid $90 for it & just fitted it my self.
Its pretty quite & Noticed a bit of throttle response and fuel eco gain. Thats all i wanted it for was for fuel eco, and it has well paid for its self over the last 2 years.
Here it is.
YouTube - VX Commodore Red Back Exhuast

Its not loud at all as you can here, just gives it a little bit of a note

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
mate that super cat system would be fine, i'm running a $250 supercat catback system on my vt ss s2, and i love it, couldn't understand why people would spend thousands on an exhaust unless they are "chasing power" or are stupid enough to believe their tuner when he says "more expensive it is the better it is"

in my opinion get the supercat you'll like it

James

not true. price is definately a reflection of build and sound quality in most cases

will980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Vacationer
silly question- (and sorry to piggy-back here), what power and efficency difference does a cat-back exhaust make?
I'm looking to upgrade to a VXII that has one. does it make a difference? I'm not really interested in the sound it makes.