Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

redback exhaust...and lame excuse by mechanic

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
hi ,i had a redback single cat exhaust with a rear resi fitted on my vy v6 auto (dual fuel), its an off the shelf model and before i had it fitted the exhaust guy said that it wont drone as he is gonna put the rear resi with twin outs , but after getting it fitted it bloody drones alot when i went back to him about the droning , he gave some kind of a crap excuse that the muffler got fiberglass packed in some kind of plastic bags and to get to full output the plastic bags have to pop and the fiberglass will expand and than i will see a lot of difference in the droning thing and he says its gonna take around 700kms to do that , since getting my exhaust system fitted , i had driven rnd 580kms , including driving 400ks in a single day , but i havent had any change in droning ,

Is there a way to fix it , as at 60 and 80kmph it drives me crazy ,,

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
hey mate, i may be wrong, but when it comes to exhausts you generally get what you pay for.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Supposedly exhaust systems do take some time to 'break in' but 700 km's does sound a bit much.

Unfortunately because you have a v6 it is going to drone no matter what, so there isnt much you can do except change systems to maybe.

How much did you pay for it?

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
does it have a muffler before the rear resi?

keep in mind your auto trans makes your exhaust drone abit compared to a manual trans'd commodore

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Supposedly exhaust systems do take some time to 'break in' but 700 km's does sound a bit much.

Unfortunately because you have a v6 it is going to drone no matter what, so there isnt much you can do except change systems to maybe.

How much did you pay for it?

not all v6's drone mate

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
not all v6's drone mate

Majority of them will unless you get a high quality exhaust system.

Also, the combination of other things affects it. (headers, cat, trans, engine condition)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
The "break in" time sounds about right, although it's usually 2-3 weeks of normal driving for it to wear in.

I've even noticed it with my custom system the sound has "seasoned" a bit after a few months.

Red backs drone mate, the exhaust guy should've been upfront about it... but having said that I had a VR with a redback on it, droned like helll. stuck a resi on it and it was much nicer and bearable, that was the big fat resi though not the little hot dog one :p

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Majority of them will unless you get a high quality exhaust system.

Also, the combination of other things affects it. (headers, cat, trans, engine condition)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

it all comes down to you get what you pay for as 'undersuspicion' said :p

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
to get rid of the drone mate, take the redback catback, throw it in the bin and get yourself a good exhaust system with headers and hi flow cat/s. Easiest solution and it will make your car sound better than with just the cat back.