Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline front tyre choices

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
In the lounge at a tyre joint right now thinking stick with Sumitomo but try the Falken range, Azenis FK 453.
Made in Japan, great reviews on grip, wear no so great but seem good value.
Anyone try these or the predecessor 452?
What else for the price?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
In the lounge at a tyre joint right now thinking stick with Sumitomo but try the Falken range, Azenis FK 453.
What else for the price?

I've had them on a C63 for the last 6 months because at the time I couldn't get 245/30R20 fronts and 285/25R20 rears in any other brand from my local supplier.

They are a follow on to a set of Pirelli P Zeros and Yokohama Advans and so far they are doing a good job on a car that get minimal drive time.

They hold on tight during tough cornering but it's to early to comment on lifespan.

I was surprise at how cheap they were as I don't normally buy cheap tyres but in this case I had no choice and I'm happy to say they are well worth the price.

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I chose Kumho KU39 over FK453 based on it placing higher in two tyre tests done by http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ It also scored third place in a Wheels or Motor tyre comparison.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I chose Kumho KU39 over FK453 based on it placing higher in two tyre tests done by http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ It also scored third place in a Wheels or Motor tyre comparison.
Wow lots of info on that link, thanks. But which review does pit those two together exactly?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
One thing to note with tyre reviews from overseas is here in Australia we prominently use summer tyres and not winter or all weather tyres.

Keep in that in mind so you know which reviews to check out.

Also is it true that some manufacturer's make changes to tyre compounds from country to country depending on what suits the local environment best?

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Wow lots of info on that link, thanks. But which review does pit those two together exactly?

It has been a while since I read the reviews I know there are a few more reviews comparing the two just have to properly search the site but I found these three just now. The Wheels or Motor Tyre test can be found online somewhere, it too was a few years ago

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Bild-50-Summer-Tyre-Shootout.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-European-Summer-Sports-Tyre-Test.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
One thing to note with tyre reviews from overseas is here in Australia we prominently use summer tyres and not winter or all weather tyres.

Keep in that in mind so you know which reviews to check out.

Also is it true that some manufacturer's make changes to tyre compounds from country to country depending on what suits the local environment best?
Good point, summer is really high heat, through likes of Durum, Cobar mainly highway with a load. Needless to say dry corrugated and unforgiving.
One summer I went through a set of Kuhmo KU39 on rear in a couple of weeks, about 8k km. I would consider fronts again though noisy when tread is past halfway.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Contisportcontact 6, 245/40R19 98Y, $359 each at Jax. I am surprised it is cheaper than the Tyresales at $390 each.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
What else for the price?

I've run the falkens on my cars for years(20") good value and grip loved the 452(made in Thailand, was japan) so much stockpiled a few, have heard the 453 is a bit more average but never tried yet

recently had to get 275's and ended up with kumho KU39 made in korea and seem ok atm.

Fav is RE003 on my daily VE berlina, got a stupid price on them as tyre joint couldn't sell them the 225 55 17 is a odd size and almost got 40K out of them.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've run the falkens on my cars for years(20") good value and grip loved the 452(made in Thailand, was japan) so much stockpiled a few, have heard the 453 is a bit more average but never tried yet

recently had to get 275's and ended up with kumho KU39 made in korea and seem ok atm.

Fav is RE003 on my daily VE berlina, got a stupid price on them as tyre joint couldn't sell them the 225 55 17 is a odd size and almost got 40K out of them.
Yeah, the RE003's are a fantastic tire. I've got +35k out of the rears. Now the for replacement. The fronts look to have at least another 15k left in the. Awesome grip dry or wet, hot or cold. Quiet and they look great too. Plus long life. The best tyres I've ever bought, by a country mile.