Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline front tyre choices

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yeah, the RE003's are a fantastic tire. I've got +35k out of the rears. Now the for replacement. The fronts look to have at least another 15k left in the. Awesome grip dry or wet, hot or cold. Quiet and they look great too. Plus long life. The best tyres I've ever bought, by a country mile.

That's good mileage from a performance tyre though it would take me 15 years to get that many kays on one.

I've tried the S001's and the RE050A's but not the RE003's.

Where does the RE003 stand as a performance tyre compared to the two I've tried?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
That's good mileage from a performance tyre though it would take me 15 years to get that many kays on one.

Where does the RE003 stand as a performance tyre compared to the two I've tried?

Yeah hey. I look after my tyres with regular pressure checks. Not much else you can do with staggered rims.
I don't think I've tried the S001?Maybe years ago? But, compared to the RE050, the RE003 is a better performance tyre. Now, I cant quote comparative test data lol. But, the RE003 has a far more aggressive block tread patrern a stronger casing for lateral load demands and weight transfer tolerance during heavy breaking and cornering. It's certainly got more grip and lasted a out the same as RE050's.
There's a good review and comparison to the
Michelin Pilot Sport 3, Continental ContactSports, Pirelli P Zeros below. The RE003 outperformed all in all categories from memory.
http://speednation.com.au/testing-tyres-bridgestone-potenza-re003/

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah hey. I look after my tyres with regular pressure checks. Not much else you can do with staggered rims.
I don't think I've tried the S001?Maybe years ago? But, compared to the RE050, the RE003 is a better performance tyre. Now, I cant quote comparative test data lol. But, the RE003 has a far more aggressive block tread patrern a stronger casing for lateral load demands and weight transfer tolerance during heavy breaking and cornering. It's certainly got more grip and lasted a out the same as RE050's.
Michelin Pilot Sport 3, Continental ContactSports, Pirelli P Zeros below. The RE003 outperformed all in all categories from memory.
o_O liking the Sumi Falken Azenis 453 up front, see how they wear. If they last six months I'll be happy (25-30k km).
Of course rears next, might get them what'd you pay for 275 fitted?

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG

F
tyres.JPG

From the bridgestone site S001 v's the REO50, think the S001 main difference is runflat

I'm surprised out of the kms I've got on my daily at 39k atm and probally another 5k to go(yes only 225/55R17's) but worth every cent paid $150 for each tyre fitted they were old stock at the time dated week 14 of 2014 got them in dec 15. The tyre outlet just wasn't selling that size(he was hoping for a wrx to come in)

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
FView attachment 194397
From the bridgestone site S001 v's the REO50, think the S001 main difference is runflat

I'm surprised out of the kms I've got on my daily at 39k atm and probally another 5k to go(yes only 225/55R17's) but worth every cent paid $150 for each tyre fitted they were old stock at the time dated week 14 of 2014 got them in dec 15. The tyre outlet just wasn't selling that size(he was hoping for a wrx to come in)
I saw just the other day that RE050A come in run flat too BTW.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
o_O liking the Sumi Falken Azenis 453 up front, see how they wear. If they last six months I'll be happy (25-30k km).
Of course rears next, might get them what'd you pay for 275 fitted?
They're not cheap. I forget the cost of the rears. But 4 cost me about $1400 fitted and balanced with nitrogen. Whole of life cost is good though. Personally, tyres are one replaceable itme I won't skimp on. The inherent safety of your car is only as good as the tyres.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Cuda you’ve posted a link to review from a track day arranged by Bridgestone so I would consider that to be compromised.

I also read other reviews to do with that same track day other than the one posted by Speed Nation and none divulge the name of the competitor’s tyre or tyres that was used for comparison but from other reviews there was mention that the main focus of the day was to show the new RE003 was an improvement on the outgoing RE002.

A photo from the drive day comparison:

calder6.jpg

Below is a graph comparison to the RE002 from the Bridgestone Website which also has a number of videos posted above this graph featuring Jack Perkins and Jonathon Webb for the same track day comparison as that shown in the Speed Nation link:

comparison-tyre-graph-retail.jpg

It doesn’t mean the RE003 isn’t a good street tyre and great value for money as most comments do back that up but it’s out of its league with the higher end products.

For example it has a speed rating of 270 km/h where the new Pirelli P Zero has a rating of 370 km/h with the Bridgestone S001 and RE050A, the Michelin Pilot sport 4S, The Continental SportContact 6 and the Falken FK453 all rated at or over 300km/h,

A silly comparison I know if you take into account most cars are speed limited to suit the RE003 anyway.

The other thing I noticed is the grooves in the higher end tyres are usually much wider to allow quicker water dispersal than those in RE003 tread pattern.

Bridgestone RE003

Potenza_tread-wide-centre-rib.png

Bridgestone S001

Potenza-S001-3.jpg

Bridgestone RE050A

0021653_bridgestone-potenza-re050a-rft.png

Continental SportContact 6

CONTINENTAL-SPORTCONTACT6-1-669x381.png

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

17267811_908612242613246_561746537944711168_n.jpg

Falken AZenis 453

Falken-Azenis-FK453-Circumferential-Grooves.jpg

Pirelli P Zero - classic style

tyre-sport.png

Pirelli P Zero - new style

pirelli-p-zero-photo-467005-s-original.jpg

I've tried a lot of different brands and I must say other than the sticky quick wearing tyres which give little value for money if you're on a budget I don't rate many tyres very highly.

I've always been a hard judge and tend to fit those with the most wet/dry grip for my family's safety.

Those tyres of course offer very limited wear and I'm lucky to get 10,000ks out of a set of rears which in my case doesn't matter as the cars are low mileage so I will get and easy 6 plus years out of them.

I do like to throw cars through tight corners and when sticky tyres are teamed with a good suspension package it makes for exhilarating driving while staying within the speed limits.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I saw just the other day that RE050A come in run flat too BTW.

That's true the RE050A do come in run flats as I have them fitted on my BMW because they are the OEM tyre and are tuned to the OEM suspension.

I've also had S001 on a couple of cars and they are also available with or without run flat technology.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I do like to throw cars through tight corners and when sticky tyres are teamed with a good suspension package it makes for exhilarating driving while staying within the speed limits.

That's why I like the Re003s I drive Adelaide hills afew times a week to take lad to sports and love the grip even in a daily and with near 40K on them the tread is right down and few downpoors in Adelaide recently and grips like **** toa blankets still in the wet.

Rate them above reo50's easy but it comes down to price/value

Interesting to see what monstar gets out of the FK453's as I loved the fk452 and get around 25>30K max on them.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cuda you’ve posted a link to review from a track day arranged by Bridgestone so I would consider that to be compromised.

I also read other reviews to do with that same track day other than the one posted by Speed Nation and none divulge the name of the competitor’s tyre or tyres that was used for comparison but from other reviews there was mention that the main focus of the day was to show the new RE003 was an improvement on the outgoing RE002.

A photo from the drive day comparison:

calder6.jpg

Below is a graph comparison to the RE002 from the Bridgestone Website which also has a number of videos posted above this graph featuring Jack Perkins and Jonathon Webb for the same track day comparison as that shown in the Speed Nation link:

comparison-tyre-graph-retail.jpg

It doesn’t mean the RE003 isn’t a good street tyre and great value for money as most comments do back that up but it’s out of its league with the higher end products.

For example it has a speed rating of 270 km/h where the new Pirelli P Zero has a rating of 370 km/h with the Bridgestone S001 and RE050A, the Michelin Pilot sport 4S, The Continental SportContact 6 and the Falken FK453 all rated at or over 300km/h,

A silly comparison I know if you take into account most cars are speed limited to suit the RE003 anyway.

The other thing I noticed is the grooves in the higher end tyres are usually much wider to allow quicker water dispersal than those in RE003 tread pattern.

Bridgestone RE003

Potenza_tread-wide-centre-rib.png

Bridgestone S001

Potenza-S001-3.jpg

Bridgestone RE050A

0021653_bridgestone-potenza-re050a-rft.png

Continental SportContact 6

CONTINENTAL-SPORTCONTACT6-1-669x381.png

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

17267811_908612242613246_561746537944711168_n.jpg

Falken AZenis 453

Falken-Azenis-FK453-Circumferential-Grooves.jpg

Pirelli P Zero - classic style

tyre-sport.png

Pirelli P Zero - new style

pirelli-p-zero-photo-467005-s-original.jpg

I've tried a lot of different brands and I must say other than the sticky quick wearing tyres which give little value for money if you're on a budget I don't rate many tyres very highly.

I've always been a hard judge and tend to fit those with the most wet/dry grip for my family's safety.

Those tyres of course offer very limited wear and I'm lucky to get 10,000ks out of a set of rears which in my case doesn't matter as the cars are low mileage so I will get and easy 6 plus years out of them.

Thanks for the awesome write up Panhead. Re the link. I just did a quick Google. It's clearly biased hey.
So, for those of us whom do say 15-20k a year. Is there another tyre you would recommend mate?